Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels out of service

Ralph Priest

Last night,while we were away, the first four channels of our #1 controller quit working;they were running before we left. These channels only have C-9s attached with no more than two strings per channel. My first thought was the lights themselves blew a fuse, but the lights work just fine when removed from the controller and plugged in to an outlet. So, I ran a hardware test and the lights on those channels again did not work. Does anyone have an idea on how to excorcise these gremlins?:shock:

Guest wbottomley

What are those channels doing?

What controller do you have?

Have you reset the controllers?

Have you checked the main fuse in the controller?

Have you checked the pigtail to see if it's bad?

Ralph Priest wrote:

Thanks again for the input friends. One other related question: do any of the big box retailers sell 15/20 amp ceramic fuses?

Check at Home Depot. Look for Microwave Fuses. Thats where I picked up my last batch at. Any good hardware store should carry them.

Thanks Brad,I finally located a cache of fuses at Grainger Supply. Now, if I could only determine what caused the fuse to pop--that would be a great feat! I was wondering if anyone on LOR Wiki has ever heard of a " Herrick amplifier"; a fellow Christmas Crazy told me of this device--apparently it boosts your amperage to 20 amps per channel and plugs directly into 110 service. Merry Christmas!

Ralph Priest wrote:

These channels only have C-9s attached with no more than two strings per channel.

There are a couple of variables here, but lets keep in mind that a string of C9 draws 1.5 amps, you have 2 strings of C9's per channel, so that is 3 amps per channel and you have 4 channels of these, so if they are all on at the same time that would be 12 amps, then what ever else is hanging on the other channels that would be even a higher current.

Bottom line, you need to know how much current is being drawn on each channel and each controller.

Bill