Light-O-Rama Forums

2 controlers are sluggish

ClydeL

Ok, I purchased 2 lor160xW controllers and 2 CTB16PC controllers. The LOR 160xW (more expensive) are sluggish. Sometimes the sequence goes through just a little slow. But, other times, some channels stay on while other channels don't even light up. They all work.

Even in the hardware utility, I have some probles. The lights can not be controlled 100% by the hardware utility.

On the other hand, the second 2 controllers, seem to work perfectly. I don't get it??? These were purchased new from LOR in July. I never opened them till Thursday to install them on the wall in the basement.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running the latest software (top of your hardware utility)and did yuo upgrade the firmware on your controllers??

ClydeL wrote:

Ok, I purchased 2 lor160xW controllers and 2 CTB16PC controllers. The LOR 160xW (more expensive) are sluggish. Sometimes the sequence goes through just a little slow. But, other times, some channels stay on while other channels don't even light up. They all work.

Even in the hardware utility, I have some probles. The lights can not be controlled 100% by the hardware utility.

On the other hand, the second 2 controllers, seem to work perfectly. I don't get it??? These were purchased new from LOR in July. I never opened them till Thursday to install them on the wall in the basement.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Where are the two 1602 controllers in the string from the PC or MP3?

" Are you running the latest software (top of your hardware utility)and did yuo upgrade the firmware on your controllers?? "

I installed LOR2 update. I didn't do anything with the firmware. Frankly I don't understand what it is...

Also, I just purchased a new computer to run the show with. It has ZERO junk/virus/adware etc...

" Where are the two 1602 controllers in the string from the PC or MP3? "

Well, it's kind of strange, but the first controller was hooked up using the Phone jack connection. I started with the LAN cable and the computer could not find the LOR unit 1. So I tried the phone cable. And the rest, they are connected by the LAN cable.

so it looks like this....

USB4858 ==CONNECTED BY-----PHONE CABLE---- LOR 1
LOR 1----CONNECTED BY LAN--- LOR 2
LOR 2 ----CONNECTED BY LAN ---LOR 3
LOR3 ----CONNECTED BY LAN ---- LOR 4

The last

OK I've just done a complete reboot of the system.
... USB485V
... Controler 1 thru 4 unpluged
... computer re-booted.

Here is what is now going on...

Controller 1 and 2 are not responding 100% to the commands sent by the Hardware control panel. Example:
Controller 1 - Channel 9 - will not turn on when directed to do so.
Controller 2 - Channel 9 - Same thing... will not turn on when directed to.
When the controller is directed to "turn off" some random channels stay on. Even after the Hardware control panel is turned off.

I'm really frustrated. What could be affecting the 160xW contolers and not the CTB16PC's ???

Could it be firmware???

You might have misunderstood cmoore. Reset the CONTROLLERS, no the computer. These symptoms sounds strangely like a reset would resolve them.

Just for my preference, I would stick with Cat5 throughout.

When I tried using Cat5 it woudn't recognize all the controlers. It wouldn't run anything at all. At least with the phone cable, the show will sort of run ok.

And, I may be a little slow here, but could you tell me exactly how to
reset the controllers??? I thought you just unpluged them for 30 seconds to reset them. That's what I did. Is there something in the control panel that dose that?

After looking at another post, I found these instructions from Brian Mitchell...

To reset. unplug controller
remove jumper JO from pins in upper right of the board.
plug in controller 10 seconds
unplug controller
replace jumper

Is this correct? If so, my first 2 controllers do not have any jumpers on them. The did not come with jumpers like my second 2 controllers did. I have jumpers and can include them but I don't know if that will solve the problem

For the 1602s:

• Turn the controllers off. Set the unit ID to zero. Power the controller back on for 10 seconds. You should see a blink pattern on the LED. Turn off the controller, and set the unit ID switch back to the correct ID, then turn the controller back on.

For the PC series controllers, but they do not sound like they need it:

• Unplug the controller. Remove the jumper from the second row of the header. Plug the controller back in for 10 seconds, you should see a blink pattern on the LED. Unplug the controller. Replace the jumper on the second row of pins. Power up the controller. I can't remember if you will have to reprogram the unit ID, but I don't think so..

The PC controllers should not in any way be able to impact the other two, so I would not reset them unless they are misbehaving.

As for cat 5 vs phone cable, I can not think of any reason short of a bad cable, or in rare cases, a bad jack on the controller that could cause cat5 to not work where phone cable will.

On our city park show, we have 2 1602's mixed in with 30 PC series controllers. After setting the ID with the switches, we have never noticed any functional difference with the controllers in a PC driven show...

That did it. After I went to the basement to reset the controlers, I noticed the GFCI was tripped (for the 4th time) I didn't think anything of it till I realized it was controlling the #1 controller. So I shut of the breaker. Low and behold, I had wired it backwards. The breaker no longer trips.

I proceded to unplug and set both controller s to ZERO.

I pluged in the controlers and let them on for 1 minute.

Then, I unpluged the controlers.

I reset the box 1 and 2 accordingly.

Pluged them back in.

refreshed the network in the Hardware control panel.

Started up a sequence.

Then finally went outside to check for the 3 millionth time!!! And it was working perfectly!!! I can't believe it!!!

Klb, Chuck, Richard, and everyone, thanks for the help... my legs are tired of running up and down the basement stairs...

Clyde.

No one ever said there were not health benefits from decorating due to exercise.

Have any idea what some people charge for the cardio exercise you got from running up and down the stairs? Bill is in the mail. ;)

Chuck