Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels stick on

Mark h2o

I have PC and Showtime controllers that are both being affected by this channel sticking.

I checked the channel config, sequences, and comm cable for any issues and everything seems to be fine, I also have a filtered USB cable.

The channels that seem to stick on are the ones that are assigned to fast moving, heavy effects parts of the sequence like the leaping arches, mega tree and center chase up the middle of the mega tree.

When it happens a channel may come on during a chase sometimes full intensity sometimes partial, shimmering, in two, three, or even four sections and they even come on by themselves without anything going on with those channels. Then usually when the next chase or event in that sequence comes by it kinda just wipes it clean then everything is good for a while until it happens again.

I may be the only one who notices it but I really need to get it fixed before I record any videos of my first year display to show to my piers here:D

Thanks,

Mark

Channel config / definition is correct.

Version 2.0.16, I figured I didn't need to upgrade to the latest version till after the Christmas season.

I had the same issue last week. I changed the network speed from fast back to normal, and unloaded & re-loaded the control panel, and my problems went away. As a routine, I now unload & re-load the control panel every other day.

Jeff

cmoore60 wrote:

Check for channels that are defined as lightorama controllers but Have NO unit ID.
[snip]

Would not be the cause here BUT this is certianly something to look out for in version 2.0.16... The symptom of this problem is that the sequence stops completely when played in the show.

Jeff,

I've read about people changing the network speed and having success in fixing the problem. Does that affect using the serial port or does it also change anything with the USB adapter, as that is what I am using.

Thanks

LightORamaDan wrote:

Mark,

Are you using ELLs or are you hardwared with CAT5 cables.

Dan

I don't have any ELLs Dan, just CAT5.

I was reading about the required specs to run S2 and my desktop barely meets the requirements, from what I can remember anyways.

Could that pose an issue?

Thanks

Mark

it is possible that PC performance could cause an issue. I know that robin was having lots of problems (has a very big display) and when he moved to a more powerful machine it fixed things.

As far as changing the speed, you should try that. Go to the lowest speed first to see how it fares. The speed does affect both serial and usb adapters.

Dan

I am also having a channels sticking on issue. They are not confined to just one controller. I have tried dropping the speed to a lower setting and switched back to the rs232 adapter, but have had no luck. in addition I have tried a block at the end of the sequence in which everything is at 1%

I am fairly sure the computer is fast enough. I am running 2.1.2 with the latest firmware on a laptop with vista and 3Gb of ram. dual networks- 1 dmx and 1 lor

I just had 1 stick on as well. Tried different speeds with no luck. Tried adding a night light for load, no luck. Tried unloading and reloading LOR control, no change. I think I have a triac that has failed. Bummer. Unplugged string of lights. NOW they're off. Now THAT would really bother me if unplugging the string did not work. :shock:

I'm having the same problems.... this is my first year and the units are new out of the box. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having problems. But, what about the warranty? is this covered? I mean, I powered up the display yesterday.

as i didn't have this issue last year, and am using the same controllers, I dont think this is a hardware issue (unless you count firmware as hardware)

I am in the process of reverting back to 2.0.16 and firmware to 4.02 -to try and see if 2.1.x / 4-30 may be the issue.

if i still have problems, i likely will scrap musical sequences this year and run on 1.6.15

I fixed it by moving the light string to a spare channel on an adjacent controller.

I do indeed have a bad triac and it's on my list to repair it when I tear down at the end of the holidays.

This has been the most problematic display I've had in years.

i have a feeling I am going to similar - that'll mean replacing an entire controller that has several channels on-

I know it is not a triac as the channels do what they are supposed to do sometimes during the sequence

I know mine was bad because as soon as I applied power to the controller the light came on. This was even when it was not on the network and isolated. I did not try a hard reset though but I will when I take it down to confirm that's the case rather than break out the soldering iron.

Well, I'm still having issues with the channels sticking on as well.

I've tried different speeds from the slowest options to between slowest and where it was at before I changed it.

I don't know if it is performance issues or what. I'm not sure what platforms everyone is using but it sounds like it's happening to different versions of LOR.

My PC is a Dell desktop, pentium 4, 1.80GHz, 640MB ram, LOR S2 version 2.0.16 and I know for sure that a Showtime controller and a PC controller are having issues with this.

I really have no clue as to what I'm doing or what I should be doing when I change the com port speed. Right now things are set as-

transmit / receive : 128

BM / Latency timer (whatever that is): 8

Bits per second: 9600

What's weird is that every once in a while a channel will just pop on without being called for. Eg, say there is a slow part in the song where only the mega tree will be on, then all of the sudden a channel or two may pop on somewhere on one or both of the leaping arches. And it's not related to a certain part of a song because other times everything will work fine.

Has anyone with this problem had issues with your show/usb port locking up? I had some major issues with that until I installed the filtered cable from LOR (thanks for that solution Dan). I was just wondering if noise or interference in the communication cable is causing issues on the controller end, if that's possible?

How about an Easy Button? Does anyone know if those work:D

I know some people might laugh at me - but this fix worked for me downunder.

I had problems with channels sticking and tried the add load to the channel etc etc. Adding the load worked for 1 night then went back to sticking. What i did notice is if I had no power to the boards throughout the day - they worked without a problem that night. When I say no power - I mean turned off at the power point (source).

The show had been running flawlessly until last night - why - because the boards were not switched off during the day - we were at a xmas bbq all day & forgot. I will soon know if this remedy still works (turned off this morning) & I really would like to know if anyone else gets the same results because I cannot understand why this would work - but it does - for me anyway .

Cheers

CraigG

There's nothing to loose with trying. I'll give that a shot tomorrow morn. If that works maybe cycling the power off and on will do something. The sticking happens every night so I will know right away and post what I find tomorrow as well.

Thanks

I tried leaving the power off to all controllers and still no change. I did have one issue tho, I tried to reset one of my PC version controllers and I didn't get the results that the instructions said I would. I pulled the jumper off and cycled the power, the status light just flashed really fast and didn't do anything different. Then I put the jumper back on, cycled power, did a refresh in the hardware utility and it recognized the address. I tried to reset it 3 times with no luck.

Was I doing something wrong?