Light-O-Rama Forums

Stand alone mode not working properly

Gordon Starr

I bought 2 of the 16 channel kits with large heat sinks and built them up with no problems. I am using the USB interface with LOR 2.0.16 software. I built the sequence file and it runs the boards just fine as long as I run it from the computer. However, when I download the file into the boards in standalone mode, I can't seem to control channels 12 and 13 on the second board. These 2 channels turn on and off when they want to. I haven't checked 14 thru 16 yet, but all 16 channels from board 1 and the first 11 channels on board 2 work just fine in stand alone mode.

Also, when I try to download the file into the boards, the byte counter runs up as normal, but at certain counts, say 14999, it will reset back to 14000 and count back up. It will count to 15999, then reset back to 15000 and count up. It doesn't always do this. It's kind of random.

Any ideas? I've reloaded the file several times into board 1, then into board 2 but no joy! The system always works when I run the file from the sequence editor. I'm confused.

Thanks,

Gordon Starr

From the email repsponse to your email to support:

A few things:

1. If this is a single sequence that runs both controllers then make sure to only download it into one of them. If you have downloaded it into more than one then reset the controllers.
2. When testing the sequence make sure that the PC is not connected to the controllers.
3. If you continue to see the problem please try upgrading the firmware in the controller to the latest version posted on the support page.
4. The retry is not an issue. It happens occasionally especially on some faster computers. The latest version of the S2 software has changed the timing on the download and reduces the likelihood of that happening.

OK, I reset the boards... no joy! I downloaded new firmware into the boards...no joy! I did everything suggested but nothing worked. However, I built a new sequence file that was only 5K and downloaded it and the boards worked as expected. I went through my original file (26K) and couldn't find anything wrong and downloaded it again...no joy! OK, built a new file by cutting and pasting parts from my original file and used several loops and the boards are working like I want them to. The new file is a little over 5k. I'm thinking maybe I have a memory problem on the boards. Any idea's?

Thanks,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I am not sure but it could be a memory problem. If you have the original sequence that was not working can you please send a copy of it to support@lightorama.com with a note that this did not work as a standalone sequence.

Thanks

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I found that if I build an amimation sequence that is around 40 seconds long using 32 channels, I don't seem to have a problem. If I build a sequence that is 2 minutes long (about 26K), the boards only run part of the program. I haven't had a chance to play with times in-between to see just where the magic time is. This tells me that I've got a memory problem or I'm trying to squirt too much code in the memory. I thought I could load up to about 45K. Anybody know what the max amount really is. 30 or 40 seconds really doesn't hack it.

Thanks Dan. Loops won't do me alot of good because I have the lights doing different things at different times. I guess I'll just have to rethink how I'm going to run the lights.

Gordon