Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX newbie

sasmuse

I'm thinking I'd like to add DMX functionality next year, and I am in need of a "Using DMX with LOR for Dummies". I've tried reading the iDMX User Guide and am having trouble wrapping my mind around how LOR and DMX play together. Where is the easiest place to start?

Thanks,
Sally

Sally -

I have added DMX to my display this year... it's not to difficult to set up. Sequencing, on the other hand can be a challenge if you have moving lights. What kinds of fixtures will you be controlling? If they are just stationary lights, or fog machines etc, then you can dive in with no worries. If you'll be using moving heads or scanners, it gets a bit more involved.... let us know what you will be using and we can advise you better.

D.T.

I'm not entirely sure. I was thinking of switching some of my floodlights over and perhaps a fog machine. However, the cost of the iDMX seems a bit overkill for those few things. Can DMX control "regular" lights?

The iDMX is just a bridge to allow the LOR software to control DMX equipped hardware. It does not natively control anything itself.

I have three of these DMX fixtures for home, (Just lighting up the entry way) and we are using 15 of them to light up a 40 foot wide gable end on a firehouse....

http://www.wiedamark.com/colorbar19remotecontrollable.aspx

Kind of pricey, but take a look at the example video on that page.. They take several channels to control, but you get to set the exact mixture of red, green, and blue that you are projecting at the wall, and shift that through the sequence.

sasmuse wrote:

I'm not entirely sure. I was thinking of switching some of my floodlights over and perhaps a fog machine. However, the cost of the iDMX seems a bit overkill for those few things. Can DMX control "regular" lights?

Yes - with the use of a dimmer you can control " regular" lights, but the LOR products can do the same ( just not as powerful or rugged)

Creating a DMX network should be considered if you plan on using any special effect device. Whether it be a RGB LED fixture, laser, atmospheric effect, moving light, projector, or even scenery.

• The topic was locked