Light-O-Rama Forums

Flood Lights

Scott Stegall

I am hoping to add a couple of flood lights to my setup. Has anyone used floods without blowing anything up? I can't find the amperage for the bulbs on the box so I am not sure what the power draw is going to be like....
They are 85 watt colored energy misers by GE. Thanks in advance.

I have 8 floods on mine, split across several channels (2 red channels, 2 green, two floods per channel) and if I remember right the amperage wasnt that bad. I split them up more for the show than amp limits, putting all the reds on one channel would have been well under the 8 amp per channel limit.

It may be a good idea to invest in a Kill-A-Watt, that way you can plug a channel in and get a real number for amps.

I did a quick calculation and you should be at about .7-.9 amps per flood.

I have several spots in my display. This is a simple formula for finding amperage if you know the wattage rating (purely resistive loads).

power (watts) = current(amps) * voltage(volts)

solving for current

current = Power / voltage

current = 85 watts/ 120 volts

current = 0.71 amps

Al

PA-C_Man wrote:

I am hoping to add a couple of flood lights to my setup. Has anyone used floods without blowing anything up? I can't find the amperage for the bulbs on the box so I am not sure what the power draw is going to be like....
They are 85 watt colored energy misers by GE. Thanks in advance.

I used 16 FLOOD Lamps last year in a custom made pod that I hung from my gutters. See 2007 video:

Worked like a champ on a dedicated 16 channel controller. As everyone else has pointed, do the AMPERAGE math, even at 100 watt bulb, your ok. One bulb per channel.

BTY those PODS are for sale if anyone wants to make an offer for them.

grump010 wrote:

Do you have pictures of the pods?

Merry Christmas

You can kind of see them hanging here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chakorules/20071120ChristmasLightsStuff#

There are two socks per pod. Each pod has a weather tight cord grip and about 25 feet of 16 GA extention cord. With a beam clamp that works great on your gutter. Hang it near the nail to the gutter header board...