Light-O-Rama Forums

Need clarification on use of dmx in connecter on iDMX1000

bhays

The manual says:

When the iDMX-1000 is first powered up or reset, the default mode is to pass through all DMX channels received on the DMX In connector to the DMX Out connector. When LOR commands are received that affect DMX channels, blocks of 16 channels are removed from the input stream on 16 byte boundaries. For example, if an LOR command to fade DMX channel (address) 19 is received, then channels 17 through 32 will not be passed through. Channels in that range that are not affected by LOR commands will be transmitted as 000 on the DMX side.

Are the 16 channels removed just during the time signals are received from the LOR computer or until a power cycle, etc?

Here's an example. I have some snow machines that are triggered via the iDMX only at the end of on sequence in my show "Let it Snow". Tonight I noticed that the fluid was out in a couple of them and refilled them.

If I had my dmx controller connected through the dmx in port on the iDMX, I could hit them and 'prime' them to get them going again. Otherwise, a couple of playing of the sequence they are used in will go by with no snow before they prime back up.

If the dmx signals are only blocked out when dmx sends a signal, it would open up other possibilities as well. For one thing, there are software packages out there that are much simpler to program complex shows for moving heads, etc. in than using LOR... I could use LOR to control my DMX fixtures for the simple things within LOR sequences, then use the new Shell Command in S2 to trigger the other software to run a complex 'dmx only sequence' when I want to do that..

Does anyone know the answer?

Once a block of channels has been removed from the DMX-IN -> DMX-OUT routing table they are not returned until: 1. communications is lost between the iDMX and the master (ie disable shows... ) or 2. power on/off of the iDMX.

Your suggestion is a good one. There has been some consideration of adding what you are suggesting. Something along the lines of (take the largest value from DMX-IN and LOR-IN ).

Dan

maybe that can be an option in the HWU. Either have the option of IDMX takes precidence, DMX in takes precidence or Highest thakes precidence.

All I can ask for is for the iDMX to merge the signals and to control an entire universe;)

LightORamaDan wrote:

Your suggestion is a good one. There has been some consideration of adding what you are suggesting. Something along the lines of (take the largest value from DMX-IN and LOR-IN ).

Well, it would definitely be handy. I have quite a few dmx fixtures now and my plan this season was to do a sequence or two that were pretty much just dmx only. I have always been a fan of Curtis Mueller's DMX show:

In the end sequencing all the moving heads, etc. in LOR was just a little too much for me. Using a usb dmx adapter and freestyler, etc. is a lot more suited to heavy duty dmx stuff and that way I could just kick that software using the shell command, then let LOR handle the simple stuff...

I don't know what the long range plans for dmx in LOR are and the features are quite good, but at some point it is sort of two different worlds... the iDMX is awesome to trigger my snow machines, led par cans on the house for wash, etc...

• The topic was locked