Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC fuse issue

cotrill

I have been running my show since the Saturday before Thanksgiving with no issues.

I resolved my issue but I am posting this because something does not make sense and I need to understand. I have 3 controllers, controller #3 went out. I noticed the status light was out. I checked the breakers first. We had a pretty good amount of rain last night so it is possible that there was water penetration in the LOR box. The breakers were fine. Next I replaced the fuse on ch 9-16. Still no power on the status indicator. I then replaced the fuse for ch 1-8 and it worked.

I thought the right side power supply powered the board (ch 9-16). Is it possible both fuses went bad?

Will water cause a fuse to go bad?

Is there a way to test fuses to see if they are bad when they are out of the board?

Channels 9-16 does power the electronics. The electronics will work without the 1-8 fuse being in the card.

Is this a card that you wired or was it a CTB16PC-ReadyToGO ?

Dan

I wired it. I don't see any issues, especially since it has been running for 3 weeks now. It fired right back up as soon as I replaced that fuse. It did seem there were a few channels not working correctly just now as well.

Does your controller have one input cord or two?

IF one cord is it connected to the left side? I think this would explain why replacing the fuse on the left side made the controller work. If one cord is your case, then you really should connect it the input connectors on the right side and you can even remove the fuse on the left side.

Chuck

A simple multi meter that will read ohms is an easy way to test fuses... They typically read a fraction of an ohm when good, and open when bad....

Or in circuit, they should read zero volts end to end if good, and 120V end to end when bad. Do not try to remove any protective cover with power applied. You will cook yourself.. Do not try this reading unless you are comfortable that you can do it with only one hand, (the other behind your back) and without touching any of the components, including those being probed...

- Kevin

cotrill wrote:

I have 2 power cords.

Well Mike, we have a mystery on our hands! Not sure why the electronics would power up by changing the left fuse?

Dan

Many kinds of lights draw more power when wet, and that can blow the fuse.. Getting the controller insides wet is not as likely to blow the fuse, but I could see it being the straw that broke the camels back. It can also cause all sorts of malfunctions and possibly damage to the board.

The safest way to test them without removing them is to ensure that both halves of the controller are unplugged, then measure ohms from one end of the fuse to the other. That should be completely valid. Of course, by that point, pulling the fuse is not that much more work..

Other ways to tell is if the outlet you are plugging the right half into is confirmed hot with a test lamp, (I use one C9 bulb on a single socket cord) and you have no status light, the right fuse is probably blown.. If the right side is working, and the left power source is confirmed good, but no lights on the left side, then the left fuse is the next thing to check..

Of course, if you are blowing fuses very often, you might want to see if you can reduce the load to that side of the controller.

- Kevin

the ohms test will be incorrect on the electronics side of the board.

The rain can cause a short in a circuit. C7 sockets can fill with water, connections can sit in puddles of water, etc