Light-O-Rama Forums

Problems with adding a Motion Effect Row

Grady29

Hello,

I purchased the Gilbert Engineering(GE) Spooky Tree and I am working on the sequencing.  I went into the preview design, clicked the "Add" button and then clicked on Gilbert Engineering USA (online) to import the prop.  It came with 13 default Motion Rows.  One of the rows is the outline of the tree, which includes all the branches.  I want to create another Motion Effect Row of just the trunk without the branches.  Though, when I add a row and then select the row, I don't have the ability to select which pixels I want the Motion Effect Row associated with.  I added a link with a couple pictures. One of the pictures shows how the outline looks and the second picture shows when I added a new row "New Row".  The viewing windows does not show any of the pixels of the prop and all the edit features are greyed out.  I have been able to modify other GE props but for some reason this prop does not allow me to.  Any help would be appreciated.

Light-o-Rama

@Grady29

Why not do a copy of motion row 7 (Outline) with the trunk and branches. Paste it. Rename it to something like Trunk Only. Edit the motion row and delete the branches.

You can drag the box around in the custom light placement and grab a huge area to delete/cut in one go or just delete pixel by pixel.

If you get stuck and have team viewer installed, let me know and I can remote in and get you going.

That prop has a rather large spread sheet set up. On the preview definition page click on the tab labeled Custom Light Placement. this brings up the design spread sheet. If you look at the width and height you will see it is roughly 550x635. This is to big and you will need to reduce the size. To do this click on the little spreadsheet icon just above the Width number. this will bring up the drop down menu. at the bottom of the menu it says Shrink. move you mouse over that and a 50% button shows to the right. click on that and you will see the grid width and height is reduced. I reduced it twice then saved and went back to the motion effects row editor and it allowed me to set up Custom rows. this will resolve your issue. 

Edited by Box on Rails

I did one for JR a few years back as well. You could ask JR to send over his model.I also redid the mouth movements to work with 5 channels instead of the 4.
@JR

@gsmith37064 & @Box on Rails

Thank you both for replying so fast and helping me out.  I really appreciate it.  I was going crazy trying to figure it out.

@Box on Rails: Thank you for the step by step on reducing the size. I had no idea this was the issue. 

@gsmith37064 :  I originally tried to just copy and paste as you suggested, but it didn't work at first.  Once I resized the prop, then I was able to edit the image as you suggested.

Oddly, after re-sizing, some of the pixels turned off for each of the motion effect rows.  It was a simple fix but I am not sure what happened.  See pictures in link.

Light-o-Rama

Again- thank you!

I forgot about the shrink prop button and what you are seeing is normal after you shrink it. Drove me crazy when I first did it and thought I just jacked up my prop.

Just go back into that motion row and click them on again. It will clear it up. You will have to do this on each motion row. If not, when you apply a motion effect in the editor, it will be all screwy.

Edited by gsmith37064

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

I forgot about the shrink prop button and what you are seeing is normal after you shrink it. Drove me crazy when I first did it and thought I just jacked up my prop.

Just go back into that motion row and click them on again. It will clear it up. You will have to do this on each motion row. If not, when you apply a motion effect in the editor, it will be all screwy.

It wasn't too bad.  Took me maybe 5 minutes to fix it.  Thanks again.

• Like 1