Light-O-Rama Forums

Trimlight Permanent Lights and LOR Integration

avgindyguy

We had some permanent Pixel lights installed on our house in 2023.  They use the same pixels as does our matrix in our show that we purchased from LOR.  What I want to do incorporate those pixels into our show.  I have talked with a Trimlight employee that also uses LOR and he confirmed that those lights can be integrated.  He mentioned I just need to use the data channel from the Trimlight Controller, basically I plan on just splicing a pigtail to the that Trimlight data channel to the data channel on a Pixie4.  Bond the grounds if necessary, even though the Trimlight person mentioned he didnt bond the grounds and has had no issues.   Sounds simple enough however I ran into a snag.  I attached a document that shows the layout of how our Trimlight pixels are installed.  I really only need the lights on the front integrated with LOR, these would be on Port 1: Front Garage Pixels 148-216, Port 2: Upper Front Pixels 293-442, and Port 3: Front Pool Pixels 617-677

So my thought is to use 3 of the Pixie4 ports since each of those segments is 150 or less Pixels.  My issue is I need to skip pixels in my Prop definition for each strand, for example pixels 1-147 on Port 1 i dont need to control at all.  Thought okay I will just define the Prop to start at circuit 442 and auto number the rest.  Problem is the max pixels/circuit id  is limited to 510.  the only one I can see possibly getting to work is the one using Port 3/Unit ID 4 since the first 61 pixels is all i need to have working

So I am looking for ways to bypass some pixels by count.  Or adjust the controller to allow for more then the standard 510, really using less 150 or less pixels on each Unit ID but cant wrap my head around how to make this work.  I am also open to suggestions of other controllers that might allow more than 170 pixels per port, and using the DMX protocol if need be.  

Hoping someone smarter than myself has an idea.  Second year using LOR, love the products, software, and the support from them.  Oh and I know I could just splice the cable where I need to actually start for the first pixel, but that kind of defeats the purpose of us installing permanent lights, plus it means I have to climb on a 24 foot extension ladder each year to connect the lights.  Let me know if you have any questions.  

TrimLor.pptx

I should be able to answer at least some of your questions.

Knowing virtually nothing about the Trimlights, I think I was able to guess a few parts.  Let's see if I got this right.  Their controller has three ports that have 216, 400 and 191 pixels respectively.  Their "Zones" don't relate to this discussion at all - I think.  The parts that you want to control (on each string) are their port 1 pixels 148 - 216, their port 2 pixels 77 - 226, and their port 3 pixels 1 - 61.  Did I get that right?

Assuming that I guessed right, that is not a problem at all for the LOR software, but except for the third port, will be a huge problem for the Pixie controller.  For most any other E1.31 (DMX over Ethernet) controllers, it's easy.  Note that if you go with the E1.31 route, you MUST run the show from a computer and not a Director.  As I recall, the LOR PixCon16 controller can do longer strings, and I assume the new Aurora controller (coming soon) will as well.  Personally I am very fond of the Falcon controllers and would use a Falcon F4v3 - however I see that is no longer listed on their webpage.  In any case, regardless of what controller you use, for your Christmas show, you would disconnect the cable from the Trimlights controller and connect it to the appropriate pixel controller (likely will need to build an adapter cable to get the connectors right).  Depending on how they are currently wired, may require some wiring changes to get the strings powered.

To get any more detail, I would need to know how things are currently wired (including power injection - if they are doing that).

You got it exactly right.  Port 3 no issues at all.  Skipping lights on port 1 and 2 is the issue.  
the Trimlight controller is mounted in my garage and has 3 ports, each port can I believe handle around 2k pixels.  The Trimlight tech said to use the Trimlight power supplies in the controller all he did was splice into the data line for each port.  It actually looks pretty easy wire. Basically grab a LOR cable, cut the end off and connect to blue wire for each port in the trimlight controller (blue is labeled data). No power injection required.  Thought maybe using a falcon controller would work like you said.  Run shows from PC so no issue there.  Thanks 

If you are using their power, that makes it far easier.  You definitely need to disconnect the data from the Trimlight controller - can't have two data sources sending conflicting data!

Should be pretty easy wiring.