Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 8 will not read.

Obejohnknobe

I have to install and uninstall my controllers as there is a lot of tripping hazards in the yard with cables and props.  I can probably have 2 out of the 12 I would not have to move but is an eyesore (what my wife says, LOL).  In about 2 years, my electrical will be permanent so that is a start.

John

1 hour ago, Obejohnknobe said:

I have to install and uninstall my controllers as there is a lot of tripping hazards in the yard with cables and props.  I can probably have 2 out of the 12 I would not have to move but is an eyesore (what my wife says, LOL).  In about 2 years, my electrical will be permanent so that is a start.

John

I bury EVERYTHING that came become a trip hazard.  Due to we are forced to allow the lawn service to cut our grass, my first year I lòst a lot of extension cords, cat5 cables, AC light strands(before I got into RGB) because they'd just cutt right over anything in the yard.  Nor would they pay for replacement costs due to their damage.🤬🤬🤬

After my 1st year here where I am, I almost just called it quits on doing any kind of display because of this.😔☹️😖

Since I can put up temporary fencing for the Holidays, I use 3 foot tall garden fencing and bury everything just about 4 inches underground for the season, no trip hazard and no more having my lights, props, extension cords, or cat5 cables destroyed.  I also use the fencing around everything, and also use it to zip tie a lot of my RGB props to, and use tent stakes to further secure them in place slong the bottom fence railing.  Doing this has also decreased my setup time by a whole lot too.

We don't own the property, if I did, I'd still do this to make the display safer to walk around in.  But I'd have permanent underground pvc pipe for the runs to things, which I asked if I could do, and was told, no.😒

But my display is not set up the same exact way every year either, I move things around every year, but the same props still use the same controllers, usually still mounted in the same places, on occassion I'll either move the controller, or add another controller closer to the prop(s) it will control(whichever may be easier and quicker).

Unfortunately, that does add more time to setting up, but worth it to me in my present situation.

And I really don't have much of what you could even call a yard where I live, it's almost non-existent.  I have a better, larger space in back, but that's not at all visible from the front of my house that faces the street, so that area is a no go for anyone to see anything back there.

Would I love to be able to move, get a regular house on a corner lot with a very large yard, and have a lot more room to spread out my display.  Sigh, but that's not an option presently.

WOW!!!  What a quandary....  I get it, we try to make our displays safe but there is always an issue with when and where we put out electrical and electronics.  I own my house but the yard is full of tree roots except where I want to bury my electrical.  I do upgrade and move props but the electrical has not changed where I put it every year.  This year coming up, we are adding in 4 more spinners, 4 more spiders for Halloween and Christmas singing props.  I have moving heads but having issue with protecting them in the elements.  As you can see, my display changes from year to year.

Good luck on your upcoming display, we have a few more months before we go into overdrive.....LOL

John