Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility Keeps Closing

losgatosca

I'm trying to do the initial set-up on my brand new controller (LOR1602W).

I have the controlled connected to my laptop via the USB adapter and CAT5 cable. The controller is turned on (red LED is pulsing). I right click on the Control Panel to open the Hardware Utility. Once the Hardware Utility window is open, I click on the Auto Configure button and the Hardware Utility button disappears.

Anyone know what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

OK..I was able to get past this problem. I tried the set-up on my other computer and was able to do it successfully.

Next issue...I'm using the Easy Light Linker. I can get them to power on from the USB485 connector to my PC (no blinking LED). If I connect it to the controller, the LED starts blinking.

Wow, how ironic, I have been emailing with LOR support on this very issue. Like you described, if I click either the Auto Configure button OR the drop down box to select the comm port, the Hardware Utility immediately closes...no warning, no error messages, just poof and it is gone!

My work-a-round is to select the comm port in the Sequence Editor, because the Hardware Utility defaults to the same selection. While not ideal, it works, but it would be nice to get it resolved.

Well, I think I finally determined the cause of the problem. In short, it is my Latitude D820 laptop. In long, there is some kind of conflict between Comm1 (RS-232) and Comm3 (USB). I disabled Comm1 in Device Manager and magically, I can now use the button and drop-down box to select a comm port in the Hardware Utility. From this point forward, I am not going to even mess with Comm1 anymore, especially since my USB485B on Comm3 powers an RF-V4 and allows for a direct connection to boards for firmware updates. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Michael R. Zlatic wrote:

especially since my USB485B on Comm3 powers an RF-V4 and allows for a direct connection to boards for firmware updates.

Michael,

Do not try to do firmware updates over the wireless. You will only be creating headaches for yourself.

Chuck