Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixielink and CMD24

David Rise

I have a CMD24 that I use to run my floodlights.  I hooked it up to my pixielink, but was unable to get the individual channels to work.  I ended up assigning the floodlights to work together off the same DMX address.  

How do I make each channel on the 24 work separately or is that not possible?

I assume you really mean CMB24D controller.  The CMB24D is perfectly capable of treating each of the 24 channels as separate channels.  In fact, it always is treating the 24 outputs as 24 separate channels.  The only thing that makes it treat them as RGB channel groups is how the connectors are arranged.  Yes, it is optimized for RGB operation, but there is zero requirement to do so.  I gather that these floodlights are not RGB floods.

When using LOR networks, the 24 outputs are simply channels 1 through 24 on whatever unit ID you have assigned.  On DMX, the assigned Unit ID translates to a starting DMX channel, and the remaining 23 channels would be the next 23 DMX channels.  So for example if the DIP switches on the CMB24D is set to 0 0000 1010, that would set a LOR Unit ID of 0A and a start DMX channel of 10.  In that case, the 24 outputs of the CMB24D would be DMX channels 10 - 33.

How that translates through the PixieLink, I have no idea.

I use a separated (Ungrouped RGB)PORT in a number of places with 12V floods (modified so I can dim). I also do this (2 ports) for a Candy Cane spinner (replaced the stock AC Minilghts with 12V Ribbon in Walmart canes)

IIRC some devices need a FW update to use with Pixielink  . (I also do not see any dumb controllers listed on Page 6  🥺 )

Yes, the CMB24.  I connected it to network 5 on my pixielink by itself.  It would only run the first floodlight.  Would not control the other 3 floods.  

So network 5, starts at DMX 65.  So 4 floodlights, I used 65, 66, 67, 68.  did not work unless I assigned the other 3 to 65.

DMX 65 Channel 1

DMX 65 Channel 2

DMX 65 Channel 3

That's the only way I could get all 4 to work. I used channel 4,5,6  /  7,8,9 / 10,11,12 for the other 3, but they were not independent of each other.

Can you post screen captures of the relevant parts of the PixieLink configuration, and also the floods portion of the String Summary in the Preview for the floods.

Reminder that upload space on this forum is HIGHLY limited.  Better to upload the image files to a publicly accessible website (don't use facecrap) and post a link here.

The CMB only uses ONE universe or LOR Unit ID

Flood DMX65 Start 1 end 3

flood DMX65 Start 4 end 6

Flood DMX65 Start 7 end 9

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to switch one network from LOR to DMX this year. I'm trying to configure a PixieLink to do that, but I can't figure out how the configuration works, because it has a bunch of boxes labeled "Unit number". I want the entire DMX Universe 10 to appear on port 2 of the PixieLink. How do I do that?

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I'm going to switch one network from LOR to DMX this year. I'm trying to configure a PixieLink to do that, but I can't figure out how the configuration works, because it has a bunch of boxes labeled "Unit number". I want the entire DMX Universe 10 to appear on port 2 of the PixieLink. How do I do that?

DMX 10 is Unit ID 0A, the charts are in the back of most hardware manuals. DMX uses the decimal numbering system and LOR Unit ID numbering uses the hexadecimal numbering system.

I got the unit numbers. I have a several CMB16PC controllers that I plan to use in DMX mode, starting with controller unit #1 (DMX 1-16).

My issue is that I'm using E1.31 universes 1-9 for my pixel tree, so I want to send universe 10 to the PixieLink, on the same Ethernet switch as the pixel tree. What do I put in the PixieLink configuration to tell it to send universe 10 from E1.31 to port 2 DMX 512?

I got the answer. I have to enter "10" in the PixieLink port configuration page for that port. After the Zoom room yesterday, I now can see that the rest of the boxes are disabled and only the first one matters for a DMX port.

• Like 1