Light-O-Rama Forums

why are my songs all different volumes? and how to make them the same?

phxbabe

1 hour ago, phxbabe said:

songs are playing at different volumes some to low others too loud. help please.

You will need Audacity to do this. But it's free and works GREAT!

STEPS:

• Open Audacity
  • Drag your music into the screen
  • Click Select from the top menu and click All
  • Click Effect from the top menu and select volume and compression
  • Select loudness normalization
  • Keep defaults and click Apply

You will see the WAV screen shink down in size

Click file from the top menu and select export
Select Export as MP3

Thats it!!!
Enjoy all your music as one volume now.

If you're running your show from a computer there's an easy fix for different volume levels.  Use an application called Breakaway Audio Enhancer.  https://store.claessonedwards.com/product_p/bap-003.htm.  The paid version is $30 but worth it.  All your music is played at a consistent level and you have plenty of controls to enhance the way it sounds.  Set everything one time and forget it.  I've been using Breakaway a couple of years and no longer worry about audio issues..

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

There is also MP3Gain and it is free.

So I am  looking into the link you provided as I have a couple of songs that are much louder or much softer. Do you need to run the analysis on all of the mp3s PRIOR to sequencing it or can you do it after the fact?

3 hours ago, PlanetChrismas said:

If you're running your show from a computer there's an easy fix for different volume levels.  Use an application called Breakaway Audio Enhancer.  https://store.claessonedwards.com/product_p/bap-003.htm.  The paid version is $30 but worth it.  All your music is played at a consistent level and you have plenty of controls to enhance the way it sounds.  Set everything one time and forget it.  I've been using Breakaway a couple of years and no longer worry about audio issues..

I will probably look into this one.  Seems the free versions don't always cut it.

Been using the free MP3 Gain for many years, but this year[2023] it has let me down.  I have placed every single MP3 in my shows through it, all are set at the same exact level, 75, yet I still have several songs that are 4 to 5 times louder than all the others, I even put the problem songs back through MP3 Gain, got them down to 70, guess what, those same songs are still playing at 4 to 5 times those set at 75.   This is the first time MP3 Gain has not worked.

Sadly, I hate to say it, but software you pay for does seem to offer more flexability and work better than "FREE" versions.

I have a commercial audio editor, but it's old, and even though it can lower the volume, it's a painstakingly slow process.

So I'm hoping to find something better, and hopefully easy to use.

So I'm going to check out the "Breakaway Audio Enhancer" software for fixing my audio issues.

Hope it has at least a demo version to let you test it out before purchase, by allowing one to  modify a few songs to see what it can do.  So at least I'd know if it would be useful for my needs.

Edited by Orville

Before you pay for a program I would suggest following gsmith37064's recommendation about Audacity.  I've been using it for several years. It's free and works wonderfully.  If it doesn't do what yu need, then you always have the paid options to tyr.

56 minutes ago, tomsusie said:

Before you pay for a program I would suggest following gsmith37064's recommendation about Audacity.  I've been using it for several years. It's free and works wonderfully.  If it doesn't do what yu need, then you always have the paid options to tyr.

I also have Audacity on my computer and use it on occassion.

Don't think I can use breakaway though, when I checked on it, the computer I'd want to use it on has Windows7 on it, and it's(old computer), too old for Windows10, won't even install it on it, as it's not compatible.

So, had to rule that audio software out in my case.  Oh well.

Edited by Orville