Light-O-Rama Forums

Dim Pixie4

kornerb

I have 2 Pixie4 controllers, running identical props on either side of my house, left and right. For some reason, when playing back any of the sequences created this year, on the newest version of the software, the left side props are noticeably dimmer than the right side. I have checked the hardware properties and they are identical. The preview is not 'new' I just changed addresses on the props from last year. As far as I can tell this is a controller issue. Any advice would be welcome. 

Measure the Power supply voltage at the board input. If low, measure the PSU terminals (any difference is a bad connection or wrong wire size).

Are these the Newer Pixie4 (4 fuses)? Not using a 32V automotive fuse in the older one will drop too much voltage,

These are definitely 'newer' Pixie4 units. I bought one last year and one this year. Never changed the fuses.

I am goinig to have to get the voltage meter out there, but they should be identical.

6 hours ago, kornerb said:

These are definitely 'newer' Pixie4 units. I bought one last year and one this year. Never changed the fuses.

I am goinig to have to get the voltage meter out there, but they should be identical.

The old ones had just 1 fuse for the board. That is the one I was worried about. 125/230 volt fuses have too much resistance (voltage drop at load)

as it turns out, when I added the new controller to the preview the Dimming Curve was set to 30% and Master Dimming Applies was checked. This was different than the settings on the other controller which had no dimming curve. Thanks for your suggestions nonetheless! Happy Holidays!

5 hours ago, kornerb said:

as it turns out, when I added the new controller to the preview the Dimming Curve was set to 30% and Master Dimming Applies was checked. This was different than the settings on the other controller which had no dimming curve. Thanks for your suggestions nonetheless! Happy Holidays!

How did your pixies4's get set or reset with dimming curves?  I actually wanted to set my Pixie4's to 30% dimming curve, but I found no way to change them, or my Pixie16 either.

Asked on the forums about it, and was told they can't be set in the HU, only via a sequence using 30% intensity would be the only way.

So, if the Pixie controllers have a way to set a dimming curve on their ports, I'd sure like to know where, and how to accomplish that. 

As the HU won't allow me to change anything to do with dimming curves in my Pixie controllers hardware settings, at least not that will work, HU always says "controller does not accept advanced configurations", where you set the dimming curve options.  And everything is grayed out, inaccessible.

If you add a Controller to your Preview - the Dimming Curve is set to "None" in the Prop Definition...

If you import a CPC Package from Light-O-Rama(Online) - then the Prop Definitions Using that Controller are set to a 30% Pixel Curve...

You can veiw, edit and change the Dimming curve in bulk via the "String Summary" tab in your Preview

Edited by Jimehc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimehc said:

If you add a Controller to your Preview - the Dimming Curve is set to "None" in the Prop Definition...

If you import a CPC Package from Light-O-Rama(Online) - then the Prop Definitions Using that Controller are set to a 30% Pixel Curve...

You can veiw, edit and change the Dimming curve in bulk via the "String Summary" tab in your Preview

Okay, this is done in the newer versions, currently I am still using S4.4.16 Pro, so those options I don't have.

Not until I start figuring out S6 after Christmas, that's on my newer laptop computer.

Just haven't had time to do anything with it yet.  Just been installed on the computer, but still in demo mode until the 2023 season is over. 

Then I'll register it, and start figuring out how to use S6.

26 minutes ago, Orville said:

Okay, this is done in the newer versions, currently I am still using S4.4.16 Pro, so those options I don't have.

Not until I start figuring out S6 after Christmas, that's on my newer laptop computer.

Just haven't had time to do anything with it yet.  Just been installed on the computer, but still in demo mode until the 2023 season is over. 

Then I'll register it, and start figuring out how to use S6.

I do not envy you. updating all my sequences from s4 to s6 took FOREVER (unless you really like doing it, then hurray for you lol) But smart to start now, because I jammed it all into Nov/Dec and it was a mess.

2 hours ago, kornerb said:

I do not envy you. updating all my sequences from s4 to s6 took FOREVER (unless you really like doing it, then hurray for you lol) But smart to start now, because I jammed it all into Nov/Dec and it was a mess.

I don't think it'll take me too long for conversion to S6.  I believe as long as I can figure out the orop abd preview aetup for my lights and orops, it shouldn't take very long at all.

At least not for the conversion, however, creating the show files is where I think it will take the longest processing time.  At least from what I've read through the forums, that seems to be the longest wait time in the process.

But, I'll know soon enough.  I won't start now due to I don't want to be attempting to change/working on my current S4 sequences and get my self confused and making a mess of everything later when the transitioning starts the S4 to S6 conversion process.

My old system can't run S6, S4 is the only LOR softwate it will run, so that system will never be upgraded, so if I do make a mess, all my old, original S4 sequences will still be on there to start over again (if that need would arise).

The absolute first priority for an S4 to S5 or S6 migration is building an accurate review in S5 / S6.  Once that is done, the rest of the migration goes pretty easily.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The absolute first priority for an S4 to S5 or S6 migration is building an accurate review in S5 / S6.  Once that is done, the rest of the migration goes pretty easily.

Amen.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

That's my plan when I finally start working with S6.  As that's what I figured was the main priority before even doing the transition from my S4 sequences into S6.

That's the first priority I'm hoping to figure out, and get done before doing anything with my S4 sequences.