Light-O-Rama Forums

Aurora Core Controller

zeighty

I've heard some say it's priced to high, and others say it's inline with other devices that are sold as an assembled package. Everyone is going to have an opinion.

I look at it this way - If it does what I need it to do, and I can rely on it to work both on my own things, as well as remote sites, then I'm good with the price.

Considering it comes with an enclosure and power supply, that helps with the price. Still not sure its worth that much yet. Hoping someone will purchase it and review it to us.

14 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Considering it comes with an enclosure and power supply, that helps with the price. Still not sure its worth that much yet. Hoping someone will purchase it and review it to us.

My AlphaPix was and is $230 less. I really want to like this LOR controller, I just need to figure out if there is an advantage over the HC versions. 

17 minutes ago, zeighty said:

My AlphaPix was and is $230 less. I really want to like this LOR controller, I just need to figure out if there is an advantage over the HC versions. 

Even the Flex is $200 less and that controller rocks with dual power supplies. I have 3 of them and will be ordering a couple more during the sale.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:30 PM, Mr. P said:

Waiting on card price.

meee too... i would rather just buy the board. 

On 12/15/2023 at 2:39 PM, gsmith37064 said:

Even the Flex is $200 less and that controller rocks with dual power supplies. I have 3 of them and will be ordering a couple more during the sale.

What is this controller??

On 12/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, zeighty said:

Just curious... does anyone have concerns about the cost of this new controller?  

Am I missing something here? $559.00. 

Like you, I quickly became concerned with the price point on it as well. Wouldn't LOR want to help move more users to continuing to use their controllers with technology advancements. Unfortunately to me this price point is not a very logical one for the average hobbyist. I understand there is still the Pixie line, but even those controllers come with huge stipulations including pixel output limits. I understand this controller will have a better CPU offered allowing many more pixels per output, but I don't know too many displays that a person has an area so dense with pixels that 1 single controller at this price point is justified? 

Just now, lightningrod4life said:

Sorry Don, I meant the FLEX controller he referenced to already using.

Oops. Guess who didn't read first. :)

1 minute ago, lightningrod4life said:

Like you, I quickly became concerned with the price point on it as well. 

They say they will sell the board only sometime in 2024. (And after 18+ years I know better than to predict when in 2024 that will be.)

19 hours ago, lightningrod4life said:

Like you, I quickly became concerned with the price point on it as well. Wouldn't LOR want to help move more users to continuing to use their controllers with technology advancements. Unfortunately to me this price point is not a very logical one for the average hobbyist. I understand there is still the Pixie line, but even those controllers come with huge stipulations including pixel output limits. I understand this controller will have a better CPU offered allowing many more pixels per output, but I don't know too many displays that a person has an area so dense with pixels that 1 single controller at this price point is justified? 

Well said.  I do not know what their margins are, but they either need to get their costs down, or back off on the margins.  I cannot consider this controller at this point.  I do not and will not have the pixel density that would justify this controller. 

Personally I stopped buying LOR controllers years ago as even their basic CTB16 has gone up to high. If I need a LOR controller I always shop second hand on Ebay or something now.

10 hours ago, zeighty said:

Well said.  I do not know what their margins are, but they either need to get their costs down, or back off on the margins.  I cannot consider this controller at this point.  I do not and will not have the pixel density that would justify this controller. 

Ive been around electronics and had some dipping into PCB design enough to know that there is definitely some margins in play on this controller. Granted some of that may be coming in to play to assist with what experience lights contributed/brought to the table as well. But one question I have is who is their target audience at this point?? The hobbyist or are they looking to target more commercial/larger displays? Another point I feel worth mentioning is the fact that id much rather have smaller controllers and dedicate them to specific elements than have 1 controller do so much that if it goes down the whole show goes with it.. but I know also this is just a personal preference.  But I am curious to see what their board price ends up being. 

I know the pixlite cost a lot more without the build. If you can even find them. The pixlite prices took off during Covid.

Not everyone will be happy with the cost of anything these days.

Im getting a couple to add to my plethora of controllers.

JR

• 1 month later...

Aurora bare board is $ 250.00 dollars  U.S and  $ 344.00 dollars Canadian posted on website   Just wondering if this controller can be used with S5 and S6 or just S6  ???