Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix

Fulltremonti

Not sure how to build a matrix “prop” in preview . The matrix I have is a 39 wide by 24 tall . So if I want to use 100 pixels per unit id how does it get programmed . The matrix option in preview doseht let me select to tell it that  the first unit id will have its 100th pixel is three rows down into the matrix . Then second one is 6 rows down it just asks cookie cutter question like folds and lights per fold which in my case is39 …. I think 

any help on how to build or lay this out would be great thank you 

You are missing a lot of info on your matrix, but Inside of the preview editor, create a new prop.

Prop Shape: Matrix Horizontal Quad
Actual # of Strings: 12
Exact # of RGB nodes per string 100
# of folds in each string 1
Alternate nodes 0

This is for a 24x50 matrix but should get you going.

Because 39 x24 does not go into 100 evenly..... Horizontally or Vertically (39x24=936)

So Either >

12 Strings of 78 Pixels and 1 fold

or

8 strings of 117 Pixels and 2 folds

or

6 strings of 156 Pixels and 3 folds

Edited by Jimehc

Or you could us the custom prop tool and use the spread sheet to build your own with 100 pixels per string that would use nine strings of 100 pixels and the tenth string will only use 36 pixels. This way the left over pixels are only on the last strand. This method is how I do my odd resolution Matrix.

So should it basically look like the image below ? Not sure what information I’m missing ? It’s 39 pixels wide by 24 pixel rows high . My concern or question is in regards to setting it up in preview/ sequence because as people stated before first row is 39 but next row down is 39 to by end of “first fold” I’m at 78 pixels so heading into third row 22 pixels into that row is the end of my first “string “ or Chanel/first unit id used on pixie 16. Does it matter that punching in answers like I show in attached image doesn’t really match how strings are .

example is that row 12 is one fold as noted above . Row 12 on software ends at pixel 78 but the actual “string of pixels” ends 22 pixels into first row of 11. IMG_0917.png.86aa941e067dec5c51f406fc23660074.png

@Fulltremonti, take a look at this thread. It speaks to using a custom prop to build a matrix with precise control on number of strings and how many pixels are in each string.

• Like 1

@Fulltremonti

Why not use the lines-connected prop. Do 24 of them at 39 pixels each. Then Group them together.

You will have a 24x39 matrix. That may be the quickest and easiest way to build this one.

You could also cut off 22 pixels (if your stand is 100 pixels each) and use the matrix prop at 24x39 as well.

Which honestly would be the best.

Edited by gsmith37064

Just so you are aware - you can Cut and Splice pixel string(s) to shorten or lengthen them... No need to just use 50 or 100...

Edited by Jimehc

I’ll try to mess around with it later I definitely appreciate the feedback this is my first year digging into this and I got a decent little bit going but would love to layout and program this matrix . 

15 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

@Fulltremonti

Why not use the lines-connected prop. Do 24 of them at 39 pixels each. Then Group them together.

You will have a 24x39 matrix. That may be the quickest and easiest way to build this one.

This method will work too. I did this at first with my odd Matrix resolutions but I found that using the custom Prop builder worked better at Keeping the Matrix together in my preview, grouping all the line segments keep it as a matrix so to speak but I always seem to hit one of the line segments when working on the whole preview moving it just slightly to mess up the alignment. It will work though. 

Kenny

14 hours ago, Fulltremonti said:

I’ll try to mess around with it later I definitely appreciate the feedback this is my first year digging into this and I got a decent little bit going but would love to layout and program this matrix . 

Another thing you could do is make it 25 x 39 and have the strings start at the bottom and go up 25 then down 25 twice or 3 folds for 9 strings of 100 then you would have 75 pixels on the tenth string. If I were you I would make the matrix 25x40 starting on the lower left for a total 10 strings of 100. No cutting and no left over pixels. 

Kenny

So below is the custom prop builder for the 24 tall 39 wide matrix … so do I just go 1-100 numbering through this whole thing ?how do I tell it the the second number 1is the second unit id/string ? 

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

So I paste this picture to it let’s say and what the pixels somehow impose it onto matrix ?even if some numbers have multiple colors within square lol sorry I’m super new to this .. also would like to add motion to frosty idk if that’s even possible ? Again thanks for all the help IMG_0935.jpeg.2216ab77becd04a40bc39f0779150d0a.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Fulltremonti said:

so do I just go 1-100 numbering through this whole thing ?how do I tell it the the second number 1is the second unit id/string ? 

String 1 would be 1-100.
String 2 would be 1000-1099
String 3 would be 2000-2099
etc

Remember that your matrix (or just about any other matrix we lighters use) is VERY small resolution for any photo that you might use.  The software will do it's best to determine what color to make each pixel, but it will NEVER look as smooth as the source file.

If you're old enough to remember the Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) standard, you remember how low res that was - especially when better graphics adapters came out.  CGA would be high res compared to your matrix.

36 minutes ago, Fulltremonti said:

also would like to add motion to frosty idk if that’s even possible ? Again thanks for all the help

39x24 matrix (936 pixels) is going to be way too small to show that picture, let alone doing any kind of movie/animation. It may sound like a lot of pixels, but let's put that into context:

HD TV: 1280x720 (921,600 pixels)
Tube TVs (NTSC example):  720x480 (345,600 pixels)

This is why many have used projectors, more expensive matrix panels, or even a cheap TV in an enclosure to show images/movies.

So I made the advanced layout started 1-100 then 1000-1099

2000-2099 and so on it matches my build but why now in the definition area each circuits missing 3 aka one pixel ? 

IMG_0950.jpeg