Light-O-Rama Forums

50 Watt LED flood lights work in house but not outside?

RSmith

I'm using the basic S6/ non RGB controller. I've used 50 watt LED flood lights in the past. After a night of cold some only work in the house but not outside. Any help with troubleshooting would be great. I brought the controller in the house tested each 16 plugs and work fine. After ten minutes of being on, one or two floods would turn on. Why wouldn't a LED light instantly turn on and need some type of warm up period?

Are you using the LOR 50 Watt Floor Lights and LOR layouts?

It sounds like you have the 50 Watt Flood Lights plugged directly to an AC Controller, which would make them not function properly.

If you are using the LOR 50 Watt Flood Lights, each light should have it's own controller ID (20-27) and be daisy chained to the next with a Cat-5 cable for the network only.  Each 50 Watt Flood Light power cord should be connected to a primary power source, not an AC controller.

Controller IDs 20-27:  50 Watt RGB Flood Lights x8 - 3 Channels each: R-G-B

46 minutes ago, RSmith said:

I'm using the basic S6/ non RGB controller. I've used 50 watt LED flood lights in the past. After a night of cold some only work in the house but not outside. Any help with troubleshooting would be great. I brought the controller in the house tested each 16 plugs and work fine. After ten minutes of being on, one or two floods would turn on. Why wouldn't a LED light instantly turn on and need some type of warm up period?

AC to DC power supplies needed for all LED are not instant. (Even a screw base bulb has them inside. They get even more complex if dimable),  There are capacitors to reduce ripple (the dips between AC peaks) that need to charge up, so the inrush current has to be limited. The inrush is what also caused old Incan to burn out (slight different internal reason why ) when turned on.   Inrush is hard (stressful) on everything,  which is why companies spend millions on management systems to prevent everything starting at once (large users have power  meters that measure Peak Demand. That is a multiplier for the billed rate that take months to 'age off'

Cold changes the properties of Capacitors and semiconductors . It is more expen$ive to broadband the operating range of the power module . Consumers want CHEAP.  Fluorescent lights are another common light that hates cold (Extra effort is needed to get  them started much below 40F )  .