Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Flame Fountains

cdlouke

Need some help in setting up 2 flame fountains I bought. Have never messed with DMX so it is a new language for me. I am running the pro version of 6.2.14. I purchased the LOR RJ-45/XLR adapter. It shows as connected under networks and am using the Open DMX RAW protocol. My problem is I do not know which universe to connect too. The instructions that came with it are written in very broken English. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20231204_134753393.jpg

This might get you started. Same principles apply to your devices.

https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/MovingHeadLights-S5.pdf

You will need the "manual" for the channel assignments. It will be one Universe and the starting channel will be set on the fixture, i guess, with the dip switches. Its probably set to Chan one out of the box. Set Universe One and add as many channels as your device needs in the software.

The equipment has no knowledge of what Universe it is.  The only thing that cares is the Comm port that the USB to RS-485 adapter is set to some universe number and that needs to match whatever Universe assignment you have set in your Preview.  For example, if you have the Universe set to 1 in your Preview, then the Comm port for the USB to RS-485 adapter needs to be set to that same Universe 1 in Network setup.

Thanks that helps a bit. So am I correct in assuming that from the above picture my flame machine is set to Universe 1. So setting my com port and preview to to 1 and turning on the channels in the preview it should fire???

3 minutes ago, cdlouke said:

Thanks that helps a bit. So am I correct in assuming that from the above picture my flame machine is set to Universe 1. So setting my com port and preview to to 1 and turning on the channels in the preview it should fire???

Not exactly.  The flame machine has no knowledge of what Universe it's on.  Most likely those DIP switches set the starting channel number - presumably channel 1 as shown in your original post.  What Universe it is will be set entirely in LOR.  You will set the DMX universe as part of the channel assignment in your Preview.  Additionally on the Networks tab on the LOR Control Panel you will create a new network with the network device set for "DMX USB adapter".  On that you will select the Universe and Comm port for the adapter and lastly the adapter protocol.

• 1 month later...

A bit off topic...however with the flame throwers have you thought about a safety over ride?? If something goes wrong there needs to be a way to instantly cut that flame off. The DMX flame throwers will keep triggering. I have seen the internal safety fail and it kept firing after being knocked over...not good.

A lot of professional fire shows employ a dead man's switch with Pyro to the devices power supply.  As long as the button is pressed the effect will trigger...once the button is let go all power is immediately cut off.  

Fire blankets, a big extinguisher and a 5 million liability insurance policy are also good ideas with fire.