Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Laser

Sterling

Last year I finally got my DMX to work on my director.  It was complicated and I don't remember the details.   I started from scratch this year due to pixels, new props and running video.  So I am running the show from a computer with a slew of new networks.   I have a USB 485HS going to the RJ45 to XLR from LOR that I used last year.   I set the Laser dmx to start at U50 since I have other universes from 1-27 I wanted to stay well above them.  I followed the moving head doc for setting it up... but no matter what I try, it won't trigger the laser.   Interesting when I shut down the control panel, the "50" on the laser starts blinking.   When I start up a sequence and a command is going to the Laser, it stops blinking.  So something is going out that network.   Attached are my configs... anyone who has a laser can you take a look and see what I am missing?   I also tried it on a different DMX light and still nothing.  My set up is very similar to the LOR diagram below.  Thanks!    

Chauvet DJ Scorpion Dual Aerial Laser Effect 

RJ-45 to XLR 3-pin Female × 1 (DMX)

Light-O-Rama S6 Control Panel (64-bit)

Version 6.2.16

Pro Edition 

ps ignore the u27 in the laser name... it is u50.  I just didn't change the name yet and I switched back to raw dmx and still nothing. 

dmx(1).pdf

I can't read your link, but I assume it's the same set of images as your FB post.

Some questions first.

Have you run the laser successfully previously. 

Has the crossover cable worked previously.

Confirm you have a lor adaptor configured as open dmx not Enttec.

Are you familiar with the pixel console in HU. It will help a lot in identifying dmx values.

Have you tried a second adaptor. They do fail as  I found out this year.

I spent most of 2022 programing my laser in DMX. It was OK, but I bit the bullet and got an ILDA controller and software. It is so much more capable. Not cheap though.

This may get too complicated for a text. We may need to talk.

In the LOR Control Panel "Networks" tab, click on each DMX based network controller and make sure you have the correct universes defined.

8 hours ago, PlanetChrismas said:

In the LOR Control Panel "Networks" tab, click on each DMX based network controller and make sure you have the correct universes defined.

yep!  just double checked.  all looks good.  

8 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

1. I can't read your link, but I assume it's the same set of images as your FB post.

Some questions first.

2. Have you run the laser successfully previously. 

3. Has the crossover cable worked previously.

4. Confirm you have a lor adaptor configured as open dmx not Enttec.

5. Are you familiar with the pixel console in HU. It will help a lot in identifying dmx values.

6. Have you tried a second adaptor. They do fail as  I found out this year.

I spent most of 2022 programing my laser in DMX. It was OK, but I bit the bullet and got an ILDA controller and software. It is so much more capable. Not cheap though.

This may get too complicated for a text. We may need to talk.

1. yes

2. yes last year from my director

3. yes on the director

4. confirmed.  

5. yes a little for testing but not sure about id'ing dmx values

6. no I don't have another one.  Using 3 right now plus 4x ethernet (E1.31). I will see if I can test other things and pick up an extra one for later this season.  Also wondering if an ENTEC interface would help. 

I ran my dmx fixtures from a low speed lor adaptor for many years. This year during testing my adaptor fried itself, probably due to a bad mini usb plug. It took 6 days to get a replacement from lor, so I Amazoned an Enttec Pro in two days. It works well but be aware that it has  5 pin dmx connectors, so be sure to get a 5 to 3 pin adaptor if you get one.

The show has been running fine, so I have not had time to test the new lor adaptors. I can't rule out the possibility that there is some sort of weird problem going on, perhaps software or PC related. Further testing will have to wait until January.

23 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I ran my dmx fixtures from a low speed lor adaptor for many years. This year during testing my adaptor fried itself, probably due to a bad mini usb plug. It took 6 days to get a replacement from lor, so I Amazoned an Enttec Pro in two days. It works well but be aware that it has  5 pin dmx connectors, so be sure to get a 5 to 3 pin adaptor if you get one.

The show has been running fine, so I have not had time to test the new lor adaptors. I can't rule out the possibility that there is some sort of weird problem going on, perhaps software or PC related. Further testing will have to wait until January.

Ya that is where I am right now.  I have other things to work on.  This was a nice to have if I could get it working.  I might try the Entec. I may have a low speed usb I can try 🤷🏻‍♂️ thanks for your help!  

On 12/3/2023 at 2:07 AM, Sterling said:

Last year I finally got my DMX to work on my director.  It was complicated and I don't remember the details.   I started from scratch this year due to pixels, new props and running video.  So I am running the show from a computer with a slew of new networks.   I have a USB 485HS going to the RJ45 to XLR from LOR that I used last year.   I set the Laser dmx to start at U50 since I have other universes from 1-27 I wanted to stay well above them.  I followed the moving head doc for setting it up... but no matter what I try, it won't trigger the laser.   Interesting when I shut down the control panel, the "50" on the laser starts blinking.   When I start up a sequence and a command is going to the Laser, it stops blinking.  So something is going out that network.   Attached are my configs... anyone who has a laser can you take a look and see what I am missing?   I also tried it on a different DMX light and still nothing.  My set up is very similar to the LOR diagram below.  Thanks!    

Chauvet DJ Scorpion Dual Aerial Laser Effect 

RJ-45 to XLR 3-pin Female × 1 (DMX)

Light-O-Rama S6 Control Panel (64-bit)

Version 6.2.16

Pro Edition 

ps ignore the u27 in the laser name... it is u50.  I just didn't change the name yet and I switched back to raw dmx and still nothing. 

dmx(1).pdf 162.83 kB · 6 downloads

I hope you don't mind but I just posted a question under general decorating questions about dmx lasers. Do you mind telling me what laser you are using and a little information about it? I don't know much about them but am considering using one in my show for next year. Thanks,

Eric

1 hour ago, ebrown1972 said:

I hope you don't mind but I just posted a question under general decorating questions about dmx lasers. Do you mind telling me what laser you are using and a little information about it? I don't know much about them but am considering using one in my show for next year. Thanks,

Eric

I’m a dj so I have a bunch of dmx party lights. The problem is they are not weatherproof so you need to keep them in cover or inside. I had par led lights in clear tubs last year.  My laser is a chauvet Scorpion Dual. You really need haze or fog for its best look which is hard outside.  Lots use moving head lights which probably work better.   I just don’t have any.