Light-O-Rama Forums

How Can I Change Frequency 1602 Controller/ELL?

LiveWire_13

Hi, everyone.
I've been a residential user of LOR for years, including several at my young family's home. These days I find it hard to get the time/brain cells to get the lights down from the attic, string them up and get the LOR software to run mostly static shows, let alone program anything fun and figure out audio solutions. Having a toddler is just a little tiring /s

That said, I have put up lights the last few years in this house and I noticed a disheartening issue. They'll stay on for a while, but inevitably shut off for a stretch of time before coming back on. It is possible the distance - and going through walls - is part of the problem, but I can't change that. I called into LOR Tech Support last year and we talked about changing the frequency in-use due to possible interference from Z-Wave devices. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do it on my own or after Googling it. Mucho gracias in advance for anyone who spell it out for me.

Pertinent details
Software: 4.4.16
Controller: 1602 gen3
Connection: Two ELLs
Show length: 20 min
How long turn off: Roughly 5 minutes
How often turn off: Hard to say, but multiple times an evening seems likely

Do you have ANY option to ditch the ELLs completely and run cable (even if a kludge for an evening or two as a test)?

That would show if it's an ELL problem or not.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Do you have ANY option to ditch the ELLs completely and run cable (even if a kludge for an evening or two as a test)?

That would show if it's an ELL problem or not.

Unfortunately, no, for the same reason I can't eliminate ruling out distance/obstructions. My desktop PC that hosts the show is in a room furthest across the house from my box outside, but there's no way to set it up anywhere else. Dogs, cats, kiddo and poor house design all contribute to this.

It's very much a thought for the next house. 

5 hours ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Unfortunately, no, for the same reason I can't eliminate ruling out distance/obstructions. My desktop PC that hosts the show is in a room furthest across the house from my box outside, but there's no way to set it up anywhere else. Dogs, cats, kiddo and poor house design all contribute to this.

It's very much a thought for the next house. 

Sounds like a very good reason to invest in an N4G4 Director and not use the computer to run shows.

It's why I started using a Director years ago over a computer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

The frequency is changed in the Hardware Utility under the "LOR RF" tab, Instructions are on page 5 of the manual:

https://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/RF-V4-V5_Man_Web.pdf

I saw that in the manual, but I was under the impression I had to change it somewhere on the controller or ELL as well. Is it literally just choosing a different number on the list from 00-31? 

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you will have to change the ELLs to match the new channel.

Is that just a dial inside the ELL? I'll brave the cold tonight and check it out when I get kiddo to sleep later.

15 hours ago, LiveWire_13 said:

Is that just a dial inside the ELL? I'll brave the cold tonight and check it out when I get kiddo to sleep later.

No, you set the channel and network speed of an ELL via the Hardware Utility.

I eventually figured it out. For anyone else who didn't find the answer in LOR's documentation, plug each ELL into the booster via Ethernet cable; open Hardware Utility; click on LOR RF tab and make changes there. Need to do it to both ELLs and then may need to search for controllers again to re-establish the connection. One button will show you the existing configuration for frequency, power and speed, while the other will set any changes made.

As I mentioned to someone at work when trying to figure out why their color printer suddenly became B&W only, it's always a matter of figuring out where the setting is and how to change it. GL with your shows this season, no matter how complex or basic they may be!

Edited by LiveWire_13