Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Wreath Behaving Erratically

jgcorl

So I fired up my lights show this year and found an issue with my 100-count pixel wreath.  It is simply a 100-strand of bullet pixels wound throughout the wreath.  Whenever I went to test my show last night, the first 6 pixels on the strand would attempt to do the animation at hand, but the rest were acting strange.  The majority of them just turned on one solid color (some red, some blue, some white, some green) and stayed that way.  Every once in a while one would switch here and there.  However, overall they just stayed one solid color.  I attempted to run a test from the box to see if the lights would respond correctly (I am using a pixie 16 controller), but the same issue persisted.  I also tried to swap it with another channel on the card and the same thing happened again.

I am not sure if I should just cut and re-splice the pixels where the animations stop, or if there was  some way to run a hard reset on the pixel strand itself.  The strange part is, the lights were working fine two days ago.  

For the record, the light strands are the 100 count bullet pixel strands from holidaycoro.  The power supply is a 350 W power supply, and I am using all ports on the pixie 16 controller.  

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I am leaning that way as well.  I cut out the bad pixels and it still is acting up.  I guess I have 90 spare pixels to use now!

6 hours ago, jgcorl said:

So I fired up my lights show this year and found an issue with my 100-count pixel wreath.  It is simply a 100-strand of bullet pixels wound throughout the wreath.  Whenever I went to test my show last night, the first 6 pixels on the strand would attempt to do the animation at hand, but the rest were acting strange.  The majority of them just turned on one solid color (some red, some blue, some white, some green) and stayed that way.  Every once in a while one would switch here and there.  However, overall they just stayed one solid color.  I attempted to run a test from the box to see if the lights would respond correctly (I am using a pixie 16 controller), but the same issue persisted.  I also tried to swap it with another channel on the card and the same thing happened again.

I am not sure if I should just cut and re-splice the pixels where the animations stop, or if there was  some way to run a hard reset on the pixel strand itself.  The strange part is, the lights were working fine two days ago.  

For the record, the light strands are the 100 count bullet pixel strands from holidaycoro.  The power supply is a 350 W power supply, and I am using all ports on the pixie 16 controller.  

Last I knew Holiday Coro did not recommend their pixels for LOR pixie controllers. So they may not be bad but may just have a different chipset.

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Last I knew Holiday Coro did not recommend their pixels for LOR pixie controllers. So they may not be bad but may just have a different chipset.

JR

Would that be all varieties or just the bullets?

Reason I ask is, all of my C9 Strawberries, Flat square nodes, and 8 10W Smart RGB Floodlights are ALL H.C., and I've not had a single issue with any of them. (All 12v).

The only LOR RGB strings are 2 - 5v C9'S cut down to 8 bulbs each that I'm using in my modified candy cane pathway lights on a CCB100D controller.  And the LOR singing trees have their original 12v 200 RGB lights in them run off the P16D.

All H.C. strings are 12V on my Pixie16D and Pixie4D's and use the WS2811 chip, and I don't recall seeing anything on their site that their lights wouldn't work on a LOR Controller when I ordered mine.

I ordered 14 C9 50-ct strings, 7 100-ct square nodes and 7 50-ct square nodes, square nodes I'm using in various props, again, all 12v WS2811 chipset and all have tested perfectly and in use on all my Pixie controllers I'm using in my display, 1 - P16D, 2 - P4D's.

Maybe, they changed something, as some I bought last tear (around Esot ir Ict. 2022), and the vast majority were purchased this year in 2023.  And so far, they've been working just fine, some running from 5:15pm until 6:55am 7-days a week for several months now.

Edited by Orville

1 minute ago, Orville said:

Would that be all varieties or hust the bullets?

Reason I ask is all of my C9 Strawberries, Flat square nodes, and 8 H C  10W Smart RGB Floodlights are ALL H.C. and I've not had a single issue with any of them. (All 12v).

The only LOR RGB strings are 2 - 5v C9'S cut down to 8 bulbs each that I'm using in my modified candy cane pathway lights on a CCB100D controller.  And the LOR singing trees have their original 12v 200 RGB lights in them run off the P16D.

All H.C. strings are 12V on my Pixie16D and Pixie4D's and use the WS2811 chip, and I don't recall seeing anything on their site that their lights wouldn't work on a LOR Controller when I ordered mine.

I ordered 14 C9 50-ct strings, 7 100-ct square nodes and 7 50-ct square nodes, square nodes I'm using in various props, again, all 12v WS2811 chipset and all have tested perfectly and in use on all my Pixie controllers I'm using in my display, 1 - P16D, 2 - P4D's.

Maybe, they changed something, as some I bought last tear (around Esot ir Ict. 2022), and the vast majority were purchased this year in 2023.  And so far, they've been working just fine, some running from 5:15pm until 6:55am 7-days a week for several months now.

This was 12V Bullet PIXELS. I only know what David said and since I haven't used anything but 12V bullets I don't have a clue about the rest. That was last year and the last time I had spoke to David. Thats why I said the last I new. Just in case the OP's nodes were older. Like everyone else David doesn't make his pixels and everyone was having problems with the covid years pixels and he replaced or refunded for the bad.  When I purchase, I purchased bulk and personally I did not have any problems with his pixels with my own display but did have some with pixels I had direct shipped to some friends.

JR

The only major failures were their dumb 12V rectangles *and that after 3 seasons.  (1 or more LED chips of those inside missing A color)

I've had 1 or 2 bullets fail in strings of 100 over the years. many of those nodes show sun damage (brown) the the bodies, but those still work.