Light-O-Rama Forums

Matrix not working in Sequences

metallus2000

I am runing LOR 6.18

I recently purchased a 20x40 matrix.  I re-assigned the pixie 16 attached to it from unit id 1 to 60. I have 7 total Pixie devices on the network. In the hardware utility, the matrix reacts appropriately.

When I connected the pixie 8 w.matrix by ityself, it works fine. When put in the chain of controllers, it lags and stops.

Do I need to assign the matrix to it's own network? Or spit the rgb controllers into two sep networks? 

I suspect I've reached my limit on pixels, but want to confirm here.

I do have a Pixicon 16 close by. Will it work to attach to that?

Edited by metallus2000
additional information

The number of controllers is not the issue, but rather the number of channels, and how complex the show is.  Also, what speed is the network and is it Enhanced mode?

But yes, you could well be exceeding the capacity of the network.

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The number of controllers is not the issue, but rather the number of channels, and how complex the show is.  Also, what speed is the network and is it Enhanced mode?

But yes, you could well be exceeding the capacity of the network.

500k and enhanced. HS adapters. 63 channels

Sounds like I need to add an Aux network. Shows are very complex. No isues with rest of lights, they run the show fine. Just matrix is hanging. The Pixie 16/matrix is first in the chain as well.

Edited by metallus2000
addition

58 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

63 channels

Are you really trying to tell me that you only have 21 pixels spread between 7 Pixie controllers?  Somehow I doubt that VERY MUCH!

• Haha 1

I would say you need a second network and maybe a third. I use 7 networks ( all Enhanced and High speen) for 15,000 plus channels and I still get a little lag on one of my Matrix during some of my very, very complex sequences. In your case I would start by putting your matrix on its own network and limit the pixel strings to 100 and then put the Pixel curve on that Matrix at 30 after that, test out the show increasing the pixel curve until you start getting lag. then drop the curve to the setting with no lag. I am going to redo my networks next year to be a little more efficient with the distribution of my pixels. All of my strings that are currently exceed  100 will be split into no more then 100 pixels long. This Helped with my 50x48 matrix that was running 150 pixels per string. When I converted it to 100 pixels per string and put the pixel curve to 40 all my lag went away on that matrix. In doing this I went from 16 ports on a Pixe16D to 24 ports by adding a Pixie8D. Every display has it's own hiccups. Trail and error is the cure. Have fun with it. 

Kenny

Yeah my bad...I was quoting channels before.

• Number of Master Props: 61
  • Number of Sub-props: 0
  • Number of Hidden Props: 0
  • Number of Bulbs: 7,492
  • Number of Channels: 22,476
  • Number of Groups: 8
  •  
  • Number of RGB Pixel Props: 53
  • Number of RGB Pixel Bulbs: 7,484
  • Number of RGB Pixel Channels: 22,452
  •  
  • Number of Dumb RGB Props: 8
  • Number of Dumb RGB Bulbs: 8
  • Number of Dumb RGB Channels: 24
  •  
  • Number of channels in LOR Regular: 17,526
  • Number of channels in LOR Aux C: 150

Reg network needs to be split in two -

or split off onto AuxC

Ideally no more than 9000 channels per network

Edited by Jimehc

6 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

I would say you need a second network and maybe a third. I use 7 networks ( all Enhanced and High speen) for 15,000 plus channels and I still get a little lag on one of my Matrix during some of my very, very complex sequences. In your case I would start by putting your matrix on its own network and limit the pixel strings to 100 and then put the Pixel curve on that Matrix at 30 after that, test out the show increasing the pixel curve until you start getting lag. then drop the curve to the setting with no lag. I am going to redo my networks next year to be a little more efficient with the distribution of my pixels. All of my strings that are currently exceed  100 will be split into no more then 100 pixels long. This Helped with my 50x48 matrix that was running 150 pixels per string. When I converted it to 100 pixels per string and put the pixel curve to 40 all my lag went away on that matrix. In doing this I went from 16 ports on a Pixe16D to 24 ports by adding a Pixie8D. Every display has it's own hiccups. Trail and error is the cure. Have fun with it. 

Kenny

I will do that. Currently, without the Matrix, the shows run fine. Very complex sequences. I'll split off the matrix today. I do want to redesign the whoel network, but where the computer sits, I only have two data jacks. One is for the Pixicon, which I am going to redo as a Pixie 16. I don't use DMX that much, other than a 16 CCR megatree.

As for an overall design change, next year...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Reg network needs to be split in two -

or split off onto AuxC

Ideally no more than 9000 channels per network

Gotcha, thanks.

3 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

Yeah my bad...I was quoting channels before.

You got caught by one of the items of terminology that I really harp on.  Output ports on a pixel controller should not be referred to as "channels".  "Outputs" or "Ports" is far better.  There are many channels on each port of a pixel controller.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:01 PM, PhilMassey said:

Besides, Channels is a much bigger number.............

I did fix the issue. For this year, I removed the 4xLightorama spinners. Next year, rewiring house for cat 5 where my computer sits. Too late this year to split off aux networks. Everything works fine. :-)