Light-O-Rama Forums

What happened to the Pixcon16?

dgrant

Thanks for posting that.  A bit pricy, but glad that there is a link to the manual.  I will be looking at that in detail...

To compare, the ready to run Falcon F16v4 is $525 so the new Aurora is close to that same price when adding the pigtails. I personally would not spend that much on it. Maybe LOR will end up offering just the board only and let us add our own enclosures and power supplies.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Don't think it has a switch on board.

That is correct, but the enclosure is probably large enough to include a switch, which could be powered from the 12v power supply.

Interestingly, LOR also now sells pixels with the X-Connect end connectors and even offers them as dangles on the new controller. 

Its stating for the price, we get an enclosure and power supply too. Extra for pigtails though which is probably due to the numerous different types we all use. Even with this $50 off sale between now and 12/31, still not worth that much in my personal view. Like Jim said, I too will be looking at the specs pretty closely

The manual provides basic examples - yet briefly touches on the advanced user configuration towards the end... They show an example of 3 Universes on 1 port... With a 300 Pixel Limit at 30% (120 Pixels at 100%) so in order to support the additional pixel Addresses (Power injection will be required to support the larger bulb count)... It supports 58 Universes and 2 of them are DMX.. So when I consider the extra power supplies, enclosures, cables and network switches, it just would not make sense for a display running 10 Pixie16's... Now if they where WiFi enabled there would be a lot less cables to run.. I also did notice that they are using the standard IP for a Wireless Router 192.168.1.***

For myself, I was thinking about modifying my 24x50 matrix to a 24x300 matrix. That's 7200 pixels or 21,600 channels. So I'm wondering how this Aurora Core controller is calculating channel counts. Yes, power injection might/would be needed.

39 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

The manual provides basic examples - yet briefly touches on the advanced user configuration towards the end... They show an example of 3 Universes on 1 port... With a 300 Pixel Limit at 30% (120 Pixels at 100%) so in order to support the additional pixel Addresses (Power injection will be required to support the larger bulb count)... It supports 58 Universes and 2 of them are DMX.. So when I consider the extra power supplies, enclosures, cables and network switches, it just would not make sense for a display running 10 Pixie16's... Now if they where WiFi enabled there would be a lot less cables to run.. I also did notice that they are using the standard IP for a Wireless Router 192.168.1.***

Nothing I saw in the docs, indicated it / both could not be changed. Windows supports more than 1 network card. Having a USB Ethernet adapter for cases where your primary is not the standard Class C would allow for a quick way to reconfigure (Have a x-over cable/adapter handy and No switch is needed . https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Crossover-Adapter/dp/B01I0E5EXU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XW8VBVN9ZB1T&keywords=cross-over+network+adapter&qid=1702672345&sprefix=cross-over+network+adapter%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-3)  allows you to use a normal CAT5

By the time you add the $32 for the dangles it's almost $600 ($591), I can build two Falcon F16v4 for cheaper then that and have way more capabilities. What is the card only price?

21 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

To compare, the ready to run Falcon F16v4 is $525 so the new Aurora is close to that same price when adding the pigtails. I personally would not spend that much on it. Maybe LOR will end up offering just the board only and let us add our own enclosures and power supplies.

Not close when you still have to pay an extra $32 to add the dangles, $591.

TheDucks - Actually the manual states you can configure the IP Address... I was just pointing out that it is by default on the standard Home Network..

6 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Actually the manual states you can configure the IP Address... I was just pointing out that it is by default on the standard Home Network

As do many other cards. It makes sense to be accessible by most networks.

I have a second NIC in my machine and have run Falcons and San Devices since 2012. It is set to to the 001 subnet and my home net is on 192.168.11.nnn. Any new card is usually just there and I can configure it without changing the base address. 

One cord and a few dumb switches runs everything. No lag virtually no limit on pixels. The Falcons also have a two port switch which means you can daisy chain them.

16 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Not close when you still have to pay an extra $32 to add the dangles, $591.

I get what you are saying but to me it's still in that price range and the dangles do not have to be purchased from LOR. I can get dangles for half that price with other venders.

3 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

I get what you are saying but to me it's still in that price range and the dangles do not have to be purchased from LOR. I can get dangles for half that price with other venders.

I was thinking why if bundled. <slap> Their price is installed. 

Jeeze I did the final assembly (not the soldering required board) on  my AC controllers and saved a chunk.

Maybe they are creating Jobs in the community by shifting to assembled only. There is something positive about that.

I know that in the Silicon Valley, Assemblers jobs are now few and far between. Any scale, is now done off shore. What remains is one off prototype labs and niche items.

Merry Christmas From Light-O-Rama! Take $50.00 off all Assembled Aurora Core Controllers from now through December 31, 2023. 

Board-Only Aurora Core to be released in mid-2024.