Light-O-Rama Forums

What happened to the Pixcon16?

dgrant

I see the Pixcon16 seems to have disappeared from LOR's store. I'd heard last year that LOR was supposedly coming out with new hardware but other than Pixies, not much in that realm. Any further updates on similar devices with greater channel counts? I'm hoping to see a new controller such as the F4 and so on, with much higher pixel count capabilities. Most of the time, the current limitations of the LOR devices seems to force us into 30/M strips/nodes. I'd love to see 100/M or more, per output for strips/nodes

Dedicated LOR guy here, but LOR is and always has been way behind their competitors in the E1.31 world.  Almost my entire show is E1.31, and for the most part always has been.  When I first built my pixel tree is 2012, LOR software had recently started supporting E1.31, but their first E1.31 controller was still years away.  For that reason, I originally started using SanDevices pixel controllers, and have now migrated entirely to Falcon F16v3 and one F14v3 controllers.  To be blunt, the capabilities of the Falcon controllers blows away anything that LOR makes..  Obviously the Falcon controllers can't handle LOR networking - but that is not a limitation IMHO.

BTW, last year and this year, I have two strings that are 450 pixels long (obviously with power injection).  Works just fine on the Falcon controller.

I do look forward to the new LOR pixel controller to see what it will really offer....

I took my PixCon out of my show this year and replaced it with a Pixie16D using a PixieLink.  This arrangement keeps the Universes in my sequeneces.    I have had unhappiness with it for a few reasons.   Pixcon does not have an Ethernet out jack!  Just one which means no daisy chaining.  I also have a Falcon which has TWO jacks and is not a pain to set up.  My plan is to post sale of the PixCon when I get a breather

My show is also 90% E1.31 with most being Falcon controllers. I only use LOR ac controllers and CMB24's on one RS485 network as I refuse to have 8-10 networks to run my show. LOR does support E1.31 and I wish they would start looking at dedicated controllers for that network as putting 2-3 pixies on a RS485 network due to channel/speed limits just doesn't cut it for me. The Pixcon16 was a hybrid and as such it just didn't provide enough capability and I totally believe that LOR is missing out by not providing dedicated E1.31 controllers like Falcon, HolidayCore and Sansdevice.

I've not purchased a FalconV4 yet but was seriously considering it. I've been hoping to see something come out from LOR that will support these desirable higher pixel counts. I do like LOR's hardware and especially their help system and their warranties.

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

I've not purchased a FalconV4 yet but was seriously considering it. I've been hoping to see something come out from LOR that will support these desirable higher pixel counts. I do like LOR's hardware and especially their help system and their warranties.

I currently use a Falcon F48 system with 10 extensions, four Falcon F16,s and around 25 FalconF4's. I also have about a dozen Alphapix controllers that I have been swapping out for Falcon's due to the high failure rate of the alphapix. However, I do like the fact that the Alphapix controllers have 7.5 amp fuses and the not the smaller 4 amp.

Edited by Mr. P

I have one Falcon F4v3 with a smart receiver that is used year round.  It's also tasked with arches for Christmas.  For Christmas I add three F16v3s - one for the pixel tree and star, one for the candy canes and perimeter string, and one for the eves and roofline.  Then there are two Falcon players for the P5 and P10 matrix.

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I currently use a Falcon F48 system with 10 extensions, four Falcon F16,s and around 25 FalconF4's. I also have about a dozen Alphapix controllers that I have been swapping out for Falcon's due to the high failure rate of the alphapix. However, I do like the fact that the Alphapix controllers have 7.5 amp fuses and the not the smaller 4 amp.

I've got two Pixcon16's, plus a E682 and a Alphapix. I also have two older JoshuaSystems 12 port controllers. Anyway, no stranger to different controllers either.

I’ve never used a falcon. But I do use advatek pixlites, I’ve ran 4 singers on a single port with the no PI. Strong stuff. 

10 minutes ago, dgrant said:

So, anyone from LOR wish to comment? Is something new coming out?

I got this back in July 23 from LOR

Coming Next From LOR...

What Did We Unveil At Expo?!

The Aurora Core Controller

10 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I got this back in July 23 from LOR

Coming Next From LOR...

What Did We Unveil At Expo?!

The Aurora Core Controller

Tells me nothing....no idea what it is, what it does, or anything about it.

Any real info on this particular controller anywhere?

Edited by Orville

On 11/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, dgrant said:

Experience Lights has been working with LOR to develop another controller for them is my understanding. I have a Genius controller from experience lights and so far I am impressed and like the price point.

Probably leave those of us out that use Directors to run shows.  Unless LOR is also developing a Director to run E1.31, which, I'm not even sure if that would even be possible. ?

45 minutes ago, Orville said:

Probably leave those of us out that use Directors to run shows.  Unless LOR is also developing a Director to run E1.31, which, I'm not even sure if that would even be possible. ?

Those of you that use a director have a line of pixel controllers to use, the Pixie controllers. Those of us who mainly use E1.31 don't have any dedicated controllers so we have to go elsewhere, so how would you be left out?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 1:33 PM, k6ccc said:

I originally started using SanDevices pixel controllers,

I built a SanDevices e682 from a kit in 2015, and have been using it every year. This year is the 9th year with the same pixel tree and the e682 has been working perfectly every year.