Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Problems

Wayne K

Powered up all of my controllers yesterday. Ran a couple of sequences and all looks ok. So I all way's run a simple schedule that brings on 11 lighted candles along my sidewalk all night long a few days before I turn the show on. Last night i decided to run that sequence and it ran as it should. then about 10:00 I thought what do I see showing thru the window. I had a few strobe lights turn on for no reason. So I decided to shut it down for the night. This morning I got up and several things are on with no programs running. I ran hardware checker and it only found 2 controllers. I ran it again and it found 6 controllers, ran it again and it found 10 controllers, ran it again and it found 8 controllers. There are 8 controllers on this network.  I have an A and B network. The B network seems fine. All ethernet cables are fairly new. I went out a little while ago and up plugged every connection and plugged back in. Now I think about 3 controllers out of the 8 have some circuits on. There are (6) 16PC-G3 Ver 1.11 and (2) CMB 24D Ver 1.05 I lso shut down and rebooted the pc. Still doing same thing.Anyone have an idea what to look for? I have never had anything act up like this before. I just ran Hardware utility and it found 10 controllers again.

Is there anything software wise that might cause this? I had a hard drive crash a week or so ago and this is a new install of os and lor

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K

Terminate the last controller. This is a classic case of poor data waveform. RS485 is supposed to be terminated. Since you do not list a newer Pixie (those have a jumper), you need to make one from a short piece of Ethernet cable (always save those with a broken tang at one end 👍 )  place a 120 ohm resistor between the Blu and wh-Blu.

FWIW HU does not use Enhanced mode or fast speeds. Those just make the issue worse.

I am pretty sure the last controller has a resister in it. It is one of the CMB24's and it is up under the second story eve. So with out getting a ladder out. I am thinking I have a bad red adapter or possibly a port conflict. When I swapped the 2 network adapter's around the problem went to the other network with hardware utility.  Now with a new adapter and re assigned ports on both adapters, HW found all of my controllers on both networks right away. So I will leave it run for a while now and see if it acts up again, if it does I will get the ladder out and verify it has a resister

Thanks

Wayne

Do you have a spare USB to RS-485 adapter?  If the problem returns, swap out the adapter. 

Hint for people reading this:  One of the most important spare parts to keep in stock is a spare USB to RS-485 adapter.  And they are also one of least expensive parts of the show.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know if it is the network adapter or a port conflict. I put a new network adapter on and changed com ports on both adapters and it has been running fine for a couple of hours now.

Wayne

I have a similar issue with a standard led mega tree running off a CTB16PC. When I power on the controllers the lights on the tree come on, but when I activate control panel the lights go off. Now if I shut down control panel and keep the controllers powered the lights come back on. I only run one LOR RS485 network and it is the only prop on the network that comes on so I either leave CP on or power everything down.

Edited by Mr. P