Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2811 LED lights

oldguy

Hello,

Sorry for the beginner question. I recently purchased a house and the previous owner had installed some Christmas lighting. He told me that they were Pixel WS2811 lights and he would show my how to use them once the sale finalized.  
Upon the sale of the house, I discovered he had taken the controller with him. And now I can’t get a hold of him. 

He had an elaborate light show but I’m not looking for that. I just want the lights to light up like traditional Christmas lights. They are currently installed along the eves of the house. Just plain old white lights would be fine. 

Could anyone help in letting me know what the simplest set up would be to essentially just turn them on? 

I’ve attached a picture of what the plug looks like. I think there may be 1 or 2 other plugs I can’t see from the ground. I guess I’ll need to get an extension cord for them. Im guessing there are 300?? LED lights along the roofline. 

Thanks for any help. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

That looks like a x-connect style (but it could be others. The size can be the same, but ti pinout is different)

LOR pixies (4 up. i left out the pixie2 as the power is built in) can drive those.

Look at https://www.wiredwatts.com/learn-connectors and see if this gives a clue 😉

Edited by TheDucks
x-connect not lights

Those are color changeable Pixels - with xConnect Connector End.... Light-O-Rama sells the needed Controller, Software and other accessories to get them up and lighting again...

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That looks like a x-connect style (but it could be others. The size can be the same, but ti pinout is different)

LOR pixies (4 up. i left out the pixie2 as the power is built in) can drive those.

Look at https://www.wiredwatts.com/learn-connectors and see if this gives a clue 😉

Looks exactly like the Holiday Coro EZ-Plug3(x-connect) connectors I purchased to install in my Pixie4D's, since the RGB Lights I have use that same style connector.  They are also used on my Pixie16D controller.

You could use a Pixie2D to control them, HOWEVER, to do so will require an HC EZ-Plug3 lights(x-connect connector) to "LOR Controller dangle(LOR connector)" conversion cable, which I have also purchased from HC, since I have 3 Pixie2D controllers used as backups for a few of my props that the lights use the x-connect/EZ-Plug3 connector type.  Have also purchased many x-connect/EZ-Plug3 RGB Port extender cables in 5 foot, 10 foot and 20 foot lengths that run to my RGB lighted props, RGB lights, and RGB 10W floodlights.

Below, mainly for the OP:

Also depends on the RGB Lights that are connected together as to which RGB controller you'll need to operate them.  As each Pixie has their specific bulb/nodes they can operate on each port.

Plus, you'll need the LOR software(preferably the PRO license) to sequence the RGB lights and test them, as well as a controller to connect the lights too for testing.

Without the software and a license and a proper controller you won't be able to control the lights.  You can download the software in advance, but it's only a demo version, it can't control lights or use a controller until you purchase a license, PRO LICENSE highly recommended, as that opens up everything in the software.

PRO doesn't limit how many controllers you can use, and is the one recommended for RGB Pixel lighting, as you won't run into a roadblock with an effect or tool in the software you may want to use, that a lower level license doesn't allow access too.

You're going to be learning a lot with this, unfortunately this hobby isn't inexpensive.  Lots of costs involved, and a lot of DIY in building props, adding more lighting, controllers, etc. as your display grows.

Best of luck, if you do decide to take the plunge into this hobby.

Edited by Orville

Thanks so much for the responses. 
I could probably spend hours and days doing a deep dive into all of this. The wife wants the lights on just after Thanksgiving so I just need to get something ASAP that will turn the lights on. 

Looking over the lights today, there are two strands that need to be plugged in. Each strand probably has 100 lights each. 

Will the below get me going? Again, all I need is the lights to turn on. No light show or color for now.  Thanks. 

https://store.lightorama.com/collections/rgb-controllers-mounted/products/pixie2-12v-complete

https://store.lightorama.com/products/genericstarterpackage

Edited by oldguy

Yes that should work - with xConnect ends and a few extensions to get the controller ground level - you will need to run the lights from a PC or a Mini Director....

Or a cheap way to test that the lights even work and/or run the Lights - Need two and two 12V 5A wall packs > https://www.wiredwatts.com/testerp3

Edited by Jimehc

The reason I said NO on the Pixie2 is limited to 10Amps (I thought I saw 5A somewhere). LOR strings use lower power than some others.  Without knowing the actual brand (other than NOT LOR), having more power capacity is a safe bet.

My HC and rextin strings can draw 6A /100  (white).

2 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Yes that should work - with xConnect ends and a few extensions to get the controller ground level - you will need to run the lights from a PC or a Mini Director....

Or a cheap way to test that the lights even work and/or run the Lights - Need two and two 12V 5A wall packs > https://www.wiredwatts.com/testerp3

Those 'testers work great.  I got one for a handy way to test at the string (saves trips to the computer). 

3 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for!! I’ll get the lights lit up for now. Then see if I can figure out other features if I get time before the holidays. 

By wall packs, you mean these here, right? 
https://a.co/d/atpeDVt

35 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

That is exactly what I Purchased for the tester

Thank you! Just ordered them both. Now I just need to find some Xconnect extension cables and I should (hopefully) be set. 

Thanks again for all the help! Wife will be happy. 

24 minutes ago, oldguy said:

Thank you! Just ordered them both. Now I just need to find some Xconnect extension cables and I should (hopefully) be set. 

Thanks again for all the help! Wife will be happy. 

Google Holiday Coro, they sell the extension cables you need, they come in 5 foot, 10 foot and 20 foot lengths. 

Depending on how long your drop to the ground is, and where you'll be placing what you're using to power the lights, you might need several extender cables. 

So if the drop is 20 feet to ground  then the run to inside and to control device is 15 feet, a total of 35 feet, you'd need 3 cables, 1 of each length, if it were a total of 50 feet, 2 - 20 foot extenders and 1 - 10 foot extender.  I use these all over my display.  And I have combinations that are 220-265 feet from a controller port to a light strand or prop.  But those lengths may not work in your current situation, but shorter ones, 75 feet or less should work for your temporary setup I'd think.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a follow up, I got everything ordered and received. Plugged it in and got lights. ….sort of. Only half of them lit up! Now that snow has begun to fly, it’s a lost cause for this year. Well, I’ll have to troubleshoot this next spring time. 

But appreciate all the help. I wouldn’t have even known where to start had it not been for you fellas (and/or gals). 

Happy Holidays. 

2 hours ago, oldguy said:

Just as a follow up, I got everything ordered and received. Plugged it in and got lights. ….sort of. Only half of them lit up! Now that snow has begun to fly, it’s a lost cause for this year. Well, I’ll have to troubleshoot this next spring time. 

But appreciate all the help. I wouldn’t have even known where to start had it not been for you fellas (and/or gals). 

Happy Holidays. 

If you are getting WS2811 to light, your license is higher than Basic 😀

You might adjust your forum profile so folk know what help to offer.

BTW what does 'sort of' mean??

9 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I don't believe he is using the LOR software to light his lights presently.

I believe for the current time he's only using the Wired Watts RGB Light tester just to have the lights on.

Love that tester, I use it on a string for a prop I'm installing RGB nodes in before the installation to be sure it works, then after lights are installed, test again, to see how everything looks.

10 hours ago, TheDucks said:

TheDucks - Orville is correct. I’m just using the tester to get the lights lit. 
The “sort of” comment was: when I plugged in the tester, only half of the lights lit up. There are two connections—one for the first story and one for second. Ones that I could see anyway. But only half of them lit up (the side where the plugs are). So obviously there’s either other plugs or maybe wire issues. 
But we got even more snow yesterday so this will be a spring project 🙂

Edited by oldguy

yup - you have to find the "Joint" between the working and non-working sections...

That Joint most likely had another input connection from a Controller Port....

Or you may even find that you can connect the working string to the non-working string at that joint location for use with the Tester Only..