Light-O-Rama Forums

Female power cord pigtail

Dr_Aplet

Hello All,

I "have" to add a 4th controller for my background stuff now which will be for my fog machine in my train and my tune to sign along with a couple other startup things like my constant on lights.  I purchased a CTB16PC board last year by "accident".  i am building it out in a box and i need the 16 female power plugs.  I believe LOR or wow lights sold a set but couldn't find it.  Are there other cheaper options that are not the giant bulky replacement ends Lor is pricey with shipping and all?  If you have a link to where the set is from LOR that would be cool too.

Edited by Dr_Aplet

• The title was changed to Female power cord pigtail

I have to agree, the shipping costs are a bit much and we are in zone 8 from NY. For some reason LOR does not take advantage of the US Mail flat rate box rate (even the box is included) when possible. (FWIW the USPS insurance does not include reimbursing shipping charge if lost)

Do you have the means to properly crimp on ring lugs (Green wire), 1/4" female blade connectors on the rest?  (I use this as it makes both crimps at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TRKJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  notice I said Both: there is the wire part and the insulation crimp

I looked at Amazon for 3' cords to cut off the plug end and can not touch $30 for 16 (that pack has 2 lengths: (1-4+13-16 are shorter than the others))

14 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I have to agree, the shipping costs are a bit much and we are in zone 8 from NY. For some reason LOR does not take advantage of the US Mail flat rate box rate (even the box is included) when possible. (FWIW the USPS insurance does not include reimbursing shipping charge if lost)

Do you have the means to properly crimp on ring lugs (Green wire), 1/4" female blade connectors on the rest?  (I use this as it makes both crimps at the same time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TRKJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1  notice I said Both: there is the wire part and the insulation crimp

I looked at Amazon for 3' cords to cut off the plug end and can not touch $30 for 16 (that pack has 2 lengths: (1-4+13-16 are shorter than the others))

LOR will probably use that option, provided YOU CONTACT THEM and request it.   I have had LOR ship items USPS to me, but it's by WRITTEN(Typed) REQUEST only.  LOR will look into it, and depending on what it costs, LOR will inform the customer(they did with me), thst the USPS option I wanted at the time was quite a few $$$ higher than UPS Ground.  Sometimes USPS isn't the cheapest route to take.

I'd contact LOR DIRECT by phone and ask, the folks at LOR have always been very helpful  accomodating and saving me money on the delivery process.

12 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Or drive around on Junk Day and cut off Grounded Appliance Cords

Wouldn't find any on mine!🤣🤣🤣

Everything I throw out that has a power cord of ANY kind gets scavanged and put in a tote for when I need a replacement, do the same thing with old AC string lights too.

Sorry, no female or male power cord ends in my trash unless they are completely broken and useless.

Ooooo, I'm such a widdle stinker!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

Or drive around on Junk Day and cut off Grounded Appliance Cords

Except he needs the female end, not the male end...

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I wired my latest controller with SPT-1 cableSPT-1 Female Sockets, Crimp Disconnects, and Labels. This is not the most economical way of doing a single controller, but the savings will add up after several controllers if you buy at the quantity discount.

i was thinking about using the SPT-1 it would be un-grounded but that may be ok.  I can ask LOR about the Flat rate box too. 

32 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

i was thinking about using the SPT-1 it would be un-grounded but that may be ok.  I can ask LOR about the Flat rate box too. 

Unless you are plugging a grounded appliance into the outlet, having a grounded outlet is useless. You shouldn't be plugging a fog machine into an LOR channel because they take a lot of current.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Unless you are plugging a grounded appliance into the outlet, having a grounded outlet is useless. You shouldn't be plugging a fog machine into an LOR channel because they take a lot of current.

Yes and yes.  some of my channels are running grounded extension cords but i dont think that will be a problem on this application. 

As for the fog machine i dismantled the remote part on the machine and hotwired it.  The power is constantly on but the button is controlled through an AC relay so there is no actual load on the LOR.  :) I am getting kind of mad scientist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

Yes and yes.  some of my channels are running grounded extension cords but i dont think that will be a problem on this application. 

As for the fog machine i dismantled the remote part on the machine and hotwired it.  The power is constantly on but the button is controlled through an AC relay so there is no actual load on the LOR.  :) I am getting kind of mad scientist

If what you INTEND to run is 2 prong (non-grounded), don't use a cord that accepts a ground pin IF IT IS NOT properly grounded  (no cut off prongs either). Someone else might plug something in, expecting it is safe . 

I have been in 2 houses recently that someone replaced 2 prong outlets with 3 prong AND the box has no ground.😲

(There is a NEC allowance IF you protect the outlet with a GFCI and label each outlet 'No Equipment Ground' They still sell 2 prong outlets that look similar to the grounded ones (the is no round hole, but the slots are off center) at many Home stores.

Be safe please.  2 wire cords are fine for 2-wire items. 💡 The Wide Pin  is connected to the White wire or SPT Rib. Important for screw in bulbs .

• 1 month later...

I have 2-16 channel AC controllers, been using them for many years. I bought enough appliance extension cords for both controllers. Its been so long ago I believe I got them at the Dollar store. Just cut em  to lenght....done.