Light-O-Rama Forums

New guy looking for pixel advise

dhager

I’d like to make a switch to pixels. Not this year, but planning for next year. My house is a split level with the main house on one side the split in the middle and the garage on the other. If I ran pixels, do you do this over multiple controllers?  I realize there are distance constraints. If I did the front and sides of my roof line the total is 200’. I have power on each end but no power supply near the middle. Thoughts?  I have nothing purchased at this point. 

Not sure how to add a picture it keeps saying it is too large of a file. 

So if you were to go with C9's with 12 inch spacing that would be 2 Pixie Ports...

Or Figure Controller(s) on the Left and controller(s) on the right

Edited by Jimehc

IMHO more controllers is easier:  👍 Less cable length. Smaller PSU for each

While I Pixie can do 170 nodes, 100 per port can be done without PI (the string has Amp limits and the Controller Power Bus has Amp limits. All ports 100 is really pushing it without PI. ) Read the chart in the back of the manual (you can download from LOR documentation)

If you want some of the features built in, then 50 per port: The controller can behave as if the strings were DUMB (more like a CMB24), that and resolution are Per Controller

Next is Spacing 2" 100 nodes is about 16'. 100 nodes on 3" is  25'  Figure what run works for each port. I just took down my new drip line strings (sad story) The corner controller feeds: 1) 100 Reversed, 2) 100 reversed (makes a 90 along that run), 3) 47. Another controller at the end of the house does 4) 100 reversed  Under 60' for all 4

Highly recommend C9 bulbs with 12" spacing for roof outlines. One string will cover 50 feet and the roof is so far away from the audience that it still looks good.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 2

IMHO more Controllers is way more money - and Power injection is a thing of the past with 12v Pixels and 170 Pixels per Port limit of the Pixie's

Network cable is reasonable, Pixel Cable Extensions are  .50 / Foot and it is cheaper if you build / assemble your own Prop(s)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

IMHO more Controllers is way more money - and Power injection is a thing of the past with 12v Pixels

My two longest strings are 450 pixels each.  Power injection is required...

OK, I don't normally run that long of strings, but it's a temp that will be improved next year.

I cut my cat5 cable runs way down this year (2023) by doing away with almost all(but one) of my 5V RGB Controllers and using 2 Pixie4D's and a Pixie16D and 12V RGB lights.

Now instead of having to figure out how to run 27 cat5 cables, this year I only need to run 5! 

1 from my old Gen1 CTB16PC Controller to Regular Network(Net1) on my N4-G4 Director(also supplies power to the Director).  1 from my Pixie16D to Aux A(Net 2) to my N4-G4.  1 from a Pixie4D to the 2nd Pixie4D, then 1 from that Pixie4D to my Director on Aux B(Net 3).  And finally, 1 from an older 5V CCB100D Controller on Aux C(Net 4).

Sure saved me a lot of time in setting up by REDUCING both Controllers and cat5 cables.

The only extensions I run are for the 12V RGB lights from the Pixie's ports, and some of those port to light extensions are up to 220 feet long.  Never needed Power Injection either.

I keep the Pixie4D's at 100 bulbs per port, my Pixie16D has a couple of ports set at 150 bulbs per port, and 4 of the Pixie16D ports are run in dumb mode for the Original Version 1(Gen1?) LOR Singing Trees (Ralphie snd Zuzu, they require 2 ports each).

Eliminated a lot of headaches trying to keep cat5 away from power cords that can cause erratic operation.

Too me, less controllers is ideal over more, and the horrendous amount of cat5 cable runs they involve.   Sure has made it much simpler for me, and much faster to set up my display!

However, YMMV.  And all of this depends on the end users preference.

Edited by Orville

4 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Love how the quote leaves out the Important and pertaining information....

And sometimes it doesn't work at all🤨🤔😮

Had to click on it 4 times this go around before it worked....🙀