Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 through Pixie Link

Red Lily Way Christmas

I'm using the same network config as last year and what I tested with this summer.   I have three Pixie16.  All go through the Pixie Link.  Pixie16 #1 and #2 go through port 1 of the PixieLink.  #2 is daisy chained from #1.  Pixie16 #3 goes through port 2 of the PixieLink.

Pixie16 #3 works fine,  Pixie16 #2 works fine.   However Pixie16 #1 has a red blinking status light.  I've tested cat cables, reset the controller.  I normally understood that the red blinking meant no network access, however the hardware utility in the CP indicates a green status.   Plus #2 works going through the #1 cables, controller etc. . . .

All the lights work with the test button.

Random lights in the props controlled by this pixie16 come on when playing a sequence even though the red status light is blinking steady.

Any suggestions on what to look for in this case?

Edited by Red Lily Way Christmas
update

Check the Firmware levels on the Pixie16's.  (BTW are they all Gen1 or Gen2?  pixies) 1.10 is the latest, but you need at least 1.05 for use with a PixieLink

My experience is the same type controller (eg 1 and 2) need the same FW when on the SAME network

• Like 1

Firmware on all three are - Pixie16 Ver 1.06.  Ran last year and this summer.   I'll look into upgrading the firmware.

Loaded 1.07 on all three and no change.  Goes up to ver 1.10 but did not upload each version.  Stopped at 1.07

Update

Have you swapped physical placement on the cable to see if the issue follows?

BTW JP2 not IN on both

JP4 in ONLY on last

• Like 1

the JP5 jumper slots are all empty.    These cards never came with jumpers.  The boards say they are V4.   Ran like this before without a JP4 set on in last.

Regarding cables.  I tested the cat5 cables and even swapped out for others (the ones coming out of the pixie link to the controller). Even tested the little jumpers in the box and swapped them out.   The ones that go into the card.  So that end of it seems good.  Also all lights and thus their extensions are all ok as the test button puts the lights through their cycle.

Down stream pixies also work  and another pixie on a different port works so its not the pixie link.

I appreciate the thoughts, please keep them coming if you have ideas.  Getting desperate at this point.

I also have the same issue daisy chaining Pixies through the PixieLink.  On one PixieLink I have tried without success to daisy chain two Pixie 16's and on a different PixieLink I have tried to daisy chain two Pixie 8's.  The port on the PixieLink will run one or the other controller but lights up randomly when I add the second Pixie.  I have not been able to figure it out and have to run each Pixie on a separate PixieLink port, but will eventually run out of ports with only one controller on each!

Another tale is that downstream props (ie props on the pixie #2 which is daisy chanined from #1 that is having the problem) when turned on, random lights go on and off on props connected to pixie #1. Tested changed out all cat 5 cables including the short whips within the box.   Running with them daisy chained is how I ran them the prior two years. Jim

Update

Apparently this one pixie16 can't handle PixieLink17 speed.  Changed all three to PixieLink8 and all appears to work. 

going to try to add the termination jumper on the last one and retry PixieLink17 speed.  Last year these two controllers were 3 feet apart and now 25 feet.  So maybe that distance and speed without the JP4 jumped was the reason.  I'll climb up on the roof to set that jumper later to try.

apparently the last pixie on the chain needed its jp4 terminator resistor put on.  now runs at pixieLink17.  Though prior years it ran fine without.  I guess a good practice otherwise.  thanks to all that helped.

• 1 month later...

I just attempted to load up my pixielink the first port I added a pixie 8 and a pixie 4 no issues.  Total of 2 pixie 8 and 1 pixie 4.  I did notice some lights not responding exactly right, maybe data issues.  Tried to do the next port but had the same issues you had.  I currently run under pixielink, I tried pixielink 8 no change.  I am not sure where the termination jumper goes.  Also, I have all of my firmware updated to 1.07.  I am at a loss.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie