Light-O-Rama Forums

Caught between LOR and Xlights

Tim Storey

i have two displays this year. One is at my business and is all Xlights. I hired a decorator to design it and provide the sequences. I'm a total newbie, but I'm starting to learn Xlights and pixels. At home I've done a LOR display for many years, but the last year I only had time to do static lighting. Same this year, but I have an older Wow lighting controller and a bunch of the pixels with the C9 capsule. I just want to use that controller and the pixels to do some animation to add to the static lights. 
This is the controller - WowLights Intelligent E1.31 RGB 16 Output Controller
It says on their network that it can be used in LOR. Can someone tell me how to get this setup with my LOR to just run an animated sequence? Or point me in the right way of a manual or online instructions?

The Wowlights controller you mention is an E1.31 over ethernet device.

It will be connected directly to your computers ethernet port, not to the lor RS 485 network. DO NOT mix up the two connections.

It will need to be assigned an network IP address on your computers network and will need DMX universes set up it in the lor software.

I can't see a manual on Wowlights, nor find anything in a quick Google search so I can't tell you any more about it. You may have to call them.

@Tim Storey

Give the controller and IP address.
Make sure you can access it via the web gui.

Open LOR Control Panel
Click on Networks
Click Add
Click E1.131 (SACN) Controller

Name: What is the prop name goes here
Start of Universe: the beginning universe number for the prop
End Universe: the end universe number
Example: 1 to 16, 17 to 33, etc

IP Address: the same IP you gave the controller
Click Save

It's now ready to be added to your preview in the editor.

Do I need LOR S4 for this? I went to hardware controller and didn't see anything that looked like this controller. I'm on S3.

It's been 10 years since I used S3 but if I recall correctly it will run an E1.31 controller. You will not see any reference to a controller type. 

Give it an IP address and in the DMX setup, use that IP to identify it. You will need to enter that IP  into  browser address bar which should open the controllers web page where you will configure it with pixel type, number etc.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

It's been 10 years since I used S3 but if I recall correctly it will run an E1.31 controller.

E1.31 became available with S3.5.0

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/3.5.0/help/

Select "What's New" on the left, then select "What's new in 3.5.0" on the right.  First item listed.

Edited by k6ccc
Added link to help file

Thanks! I stayed with S3 for so long because I was used to it and didn't need any more with what I was doing with it. 

If you are comfortable with S3 and don't want to change the format and programming then at least move up to S4. In S4 it will still look and act the same but you will get a lot more options to work with such as E1.31 and additional controllers like Pixie's and Pixcon's.

Edited by Mr. P

First, I was wrong about my version. Sorry, I haven't worked in LOR for a few years. I am on LOR version 4.16

When I opened Control Panel --- Network Preferences ---- the attached file is what I see. I don't see the options that were suggested. 

LOR Network Preferences box.jpg