Light-O-Rama Forums

.seq files will not play on the Gen 3 mini director

Tim Pierce

Hello everyone, I'm stumped.  I have a purchased SD Card that works in the Gen 3 mini-director.  I am also using the Kingston 4gb card, and I know the card works because I copied files from the purchased card and it worked just fine.  I am using version 6.2.16 Pro and I have written a few simple sequences with music, one unit only, 16 channels, nothing fancy.  I use the SD card functionality in the software, it recognizes the card, loads the show, makes like all is fine.

Only the audio plays when I put it into the controller.  No lights.

I have noticed that the purchased card has files ending in .ENH and .EXH...those seem to work just fine.  The sequences put files on the card with .seq, those don't play.  

Any ideas?  Thank you!

.seq and .mp3 are the correct files for the mini director. On that card there should be one .cfg file as well, that controls what's played. Can you post that cfg file?

I'll take a look at it after dinner. I am still on S5 and use hub. While you are waiting I know S6 has a few more functions so as you go to create an SD card, make sure you look at all the settings. You also might need to post in S6 to see if you are missing a setting. 

The only things I see different from mine is that the speed is set to "2" where as mine are set to "1" and mine specifically comments that it is created by LOR Hub. I do not know the difference but it could be the network speed is wrong for the mini director. Are you sure you picked mini director and not the N2-G4-MP3 Director or N4-G4-MP3 Director?

Also, is the Wiz of Winter seq the one you bought? The name in your file doesn't look like the standard name of that purchased file from LOR

The card I purchased works fine in the mini Director, so I am trying to figure out the why that card works and my sequences do not.  I know the SD card is compatible because I copied the purchased card files onto the blank SD card and it plays perfectly.  Following your lead, I modified the config file with no success.  I then created an SD card with the purchased files written to the card in MP3 and .SEQ by changing the output to LOR in the tool.  Played fine.  So, then loaded the MP3 from WIZ of Winter (purchased) and used my preview to build a simple sequence.  Which then failed to play.  Boo.  I am using the most basic configuration, nothing fancy.  Regular lights, 16 channels, one controller.  I made Halloween Animatronics 8 years ago with this package, so I’m only sort of a newbie.  Still stumped.  I can’t get anything custom to activate the lights, but the audio always works.  Really appreciate that I’m not all alone in this though.  👍

To answer you question on the mini-director version, the SD Card function in the version of the software I have actually has a picture of the different directors to make sure the right selection is made.  Sounds like this was a problem in the past.  Once you select the mini Director, it prompts you for the generation.  Gen 3.  Thanks.

The difference I believe I am seeing is that purchased seq works fine, edited with different preview does not. I would now look to see maybe something is wrong with your edit or preview. What happens if you take your edited seq and switch the preview to the standard LOR preview? That would at least narrow it to a preview issue

That was such a good idea!  It didn't work at first, and I was completely dismayed...but I have two CTB16PCg3 controllers, so out of exasperation, I plugged in one string of lights into the other controller and it light up.  No other changes.  One Controller works, one doesn't.  The crazy, perplexing part is...how does the purchased sequences work at all on the controller that wont play the file with the purchased preview?  The other controller plays it. 

Regardless, it is enough to build a bunch of custom stuff with the purchased previews.  It is for a charity boat that goes in a creek in Frederick, MD on November 18th.  Only need a handfull of simple sequences on a loop.

I will add to this thread when I figure out what is up with controller not working.  Thank you!

Does the controller have a Steady "On" status light on the Board?

You should also Update the Firmware on the Controllers

Edited by Jimehc

1 hour ago, Tim Pierce said:

One Controller works, one doesn't.  The crazy, perplexing part is...how does the purchased sequences work at all on the controller that wont play the file with the purchased preview?  The other controller plays it. 

Make sure the controller has the ID you think it does.  I don't know what you purchased, but it may well have sequencing for many controllers.  So for example if the purchased sequence has sequencing for Unit IDs 01 - 08, and the controller is Unit ID 05 - but you think it's 03, the controller will control lights because there is sequencing for Unit ID 05.  However since you believe it is Unit ID 03 and that's how you sequenced it, no lights.  Just an example...