Light-O-Rama Forums

PIXIIELINK - unable to see it

David Rise

The manual for this needs to be dumbed down a lot.  You can't just power it up, plug into ethernet port, enter IP or name and see it.  

what am I missing?  Why can't I see this thing?

Unless LOR is going to write up documentation on DHCP, Windows Networking, Routers and more, it's not something that can be easily documented by them.

From the docs:

The factory default host name is “PixieLink” – use http://pixielink in the address bar. The factory default is to try DHCP, if this fails, the adapter will use its fixed IP address. The factory default is 192.168.1.206 (network mask 255.255.255.0).

If you don't have DHCP enabled on your home router, then it didn't get an IP address, and is using the default address of 192.168.1.206. You would need to either adjust your computer to talk on that network, or enable DHCP on your network so the Pixie Link gets an address.

Manual says both DIP switches should be off.  Mine were on, never opened it up before, so it came that way.  So it seems it was in a constant state of reset or something.  Once I turned them off, everything came up.

I got it on my home network.  Got the IP assigned.  

Does this have to stay on my network in order to work?  I thought this was suppose to plug into my laptop.  doesn't matter to me as long as I can send the data directly to the unit.