Light-O-Rama Forums

cmb16v4​

Sterling

I have a cmb16v4.  I have 4 floods on it and I have a solenoid on channel 16.  It has worked in the past, but now, when I trip my solenoid, it gets a red light but doesn't do anything and my floods cut off.  So I think I am running into some kind of channel conflict.   I am also running a different version of the software than before so I think I might need a firmware upgrade but didn't see one for this board.   Anyone know where it is?    The current firmware is v1.30.  

Background:  I bought these off a neighbor who had a different software version.  He is helping but is also stumped.  So any other ideas are welcome!   I have a few more troubleshooting steps to try.  Thanks!  

added notes:  not using enhanced network.  tried different speeds.  cave lights on ch15 work but also cut out.  manual button on solenoid works.  

Greg

channel report.xlsx

Edited by Sterling
updated info

Very unlikely that you need a firmware update.

I'm going to assume a 12 volt DC solenoid.  Do you have an inductive suppression diode across the solenoid contacts?  If not, the voltage spike on the release of the solenoid could have killed parts of the controller board.  Bigger issue as the solenoid gets larger.

1 hour ago, Sterling said:

but now, when I trip my solenoid, it gets a red light but doesn't do anything and my floods cut off.

What gets a red light?  And do you mean that floods that are on turn off?

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Can you verify a CMB24 or a CTB16,

You forget that there were 16 channel DC controller boards long before there were 24 channel DC controller boards.  That's what I started with - still have a couple in daily use.

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

You forget that there were 16 channel DC controller boards long before there were 24 channel DC controller boards.  That's what I started with - still have a couple in daily use.

Oh so true, I forgot that there are still some of those floating around out there, you just don't see or hear about them very often.  😁

There is a red light on my solenoid when it gets triggered for a pneumatic prop.  I can manually trigger it, but just get the red light and nothing happens when I turn it on from the software.  And when I do that, my 4 floods on CH 1-12 turn off like there is a channel conflict of some kind.  They are running along in the sequence just fine till the signal hits for the solenoid on ch16 

solenoid.jpg

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Very unlikely that you need a firmware update.

I'm going to assume a 12 volt DC solenoid.  Do you have an inductive suppression diode across the solenoid contacts?  If not, the voltage spike on the release of the solenoid could have killed parts of the controller board.  Bigger issue as the solenoid gets larger.

What gets a red light?  And do you mean that floods that are on turn off?

also...  I didn't set up the solenoid, but it used to work with this board and this setup.  The only thing really different is the software version running the show.   (and he hasn't used it for a couple of years).  So... IDK.   I am guessing yes he probably set it up that way if it didn't kill the board in the past.  😁

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Can you verify a CMB24 or a CTB16, you are kind of stuck in the middle.

This  is an older version, so CMB16 is a good type

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, Sterling said:

There is a red light on my solenoid when it gets triggered for a pneumatic prop.  I can manually trigger it, but just get the red light and nothing happens when I turn it on from the software.  And when I do that, my 4 floods on CH 1-12 turn off like there is a channel conflict of some kind.

You are probably correct with the channel conflict theory. Another prop in your sequence that is set incorrectly to the unit ID of the CMB16 is sending a "very dim" event that is enough to turn on the light but not enough to move the solenoid.

Edited by Steven

Solenoids grab a lot of power to move, then internals on some models reduce that to HOLD levels. The PSU must source the peak.

Wrong fuse voltage. There are 32 volt 3AG size fuses (used in older cars). 32 volt fuses have a lower voltage drop than their 120 or 250 V counterpart.

Another possibility is a loose fuse clip or input lead on Bank 1 (bank 1 is the logic power for the board. )