Light-O-Rama Forums

Inherited a LOR set, hoping to extend with projector

brewmaster

Howdy All. I just inherited my neighbor's LOR set and have it up and running for Halloween right now using the sequences they originally bought. What I did before for Halloween/Xmas was we always ran a video projector in our driveway onto our garage door. I would love to add the projector to the light display and create sequences that display videos with the light display. 

The displays I inherited for reference: 

https://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=19&Product=945

https://wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=20&Product=961

My newbie questions:

• Do I really need to buy the advanced license to sync videos and light shows? Seems odd they sell windowed videos with basic and full screen with advanced. 
  • Is there a specific location where I can look for existing sequences that sync with a video (for sharing or purchase)? I have seen areas with basic sequences but haven't seen anyone using video with their sequences yet.
  • It would be super convenient to run the system of 4k raspberry pi I keep outside instead of running cables out my office window. Has anyone gotten the player software to run on Linux successfully? 
  • Do we expect a major version release anytime soon or is it safe to buy V6 and expect it to stay current for awhile yet?
  • What do you want to warn me about building new sequences that sync with video? 

Let me start by saying that I haven't ACTUALLY implemented video into my Xmas show yet, but I have tested it in some of my sequences. I was able to search online to find 7 videos for my existing sequences that line up with the music I already use. Search around on that big video site (YOU know the one) and you should find what you are are looking for. And if you are so inclined, there is software that can extract the audio from video files so you can get an exact match. The video works fine within the software, I just haven't actually implemented it into the display yet, while I figure out where to point the projector. I'm thinking 7 songs is enough to do a show by itself, in the middle of my non-video sequences show.

Good luck!

The last season for both Halloween and Christmas, I added video to the LOR display and yes, the video was synced to LOR. So, to achieve this, in my case, I used the LOR sequence with music as the baseline. From there, I obtained the desired video and processed it through Nero software. In doing that, I was able to edit the start and stop times of the video to match with the audio of the sequence. It takes a little time and patience to accomplish but it can be done. Once there, you add the video as a projection and under the tab for video in the S6 player, it'll allow you to assign a monitor output to the video. Let me insert here, you need to have selected the video file for the sequence. Its a bit involved but it does indeed work. Furthermore, I elected to send the video to a 24x50 matrix and in some sequences, I also sent it to a 16x50 pixel tree. The quality isn't near as good but the video projection is perfect. There's lots to consider for the projection such as it being outside and needs to be protected but also needs to be cooled. The interface to the desired monitor needs to be done as well. Best if the computer video card has additional monitor outputs that'll support the desired quality level such as 1080P.

I need to clarify my comments above; The original video has its own soundtrack. In the video editing software, I add in the sound file from the original sequence then delete the video soundtrack. This leaves the video and the sequence soundtrack together. Yes, you must rematch the video and audio together so they must be spot on. Once that is done, you export the new video compilation as either an mp4 or wmv file that LOR will recognize. Now you open a new LOR music sequence and use that new video compilation as the audio/video source. Now open the original sequence. From the original sequence, copy and paste everything into the new sequence. You could edit only the original sequence and replace the audio file with the new video file. You would still have to slew all of the sequence data to match the new compilation. I prefer to create a new file and then copy and paste because it leaves me with the OEM file still there to backup too if needed.

This links your sequence data to the new video/audio sequence. Now in the preferences, select which monitor you wish the video to be sent too. First select which monitor then select the sizing and save it. In S6, you'll need to do this twice as the player has its own configuration which looks the same.

You have to figure out your own cabling to get the video monitor to the outside and to the projector. I personally use a "short-throw", high ANSI Lumen type, not to be confused with the cheaper LED high lumen types (Note: ANSI Lumens are different that Lumens). The projector MUST be protected from the elements but gets very hot so it must also be cooled. Then there's screens, garage doors, light colored walls and etc...

Doing all of this, you set yourself up for a possible show using "whole house projection" which is really cool but you must use a very high ANSI Lumen projector and I suggest only for lighter colored homes. So it provides you options for the future. I'd be doing that myself this year except that I intend on selling and moving next year. This whole-house projection, referred as VDO Mapping, is more involved or costly so I'd rather wait till I'm done moving.

Edited by dgrant
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 3:39 AM, dgrant said:

I need to clarify my comments above; The original video has its own soundtrack. In the video editing software, I add in the sound file from the original sequence then delete the video soundtrack. This leaves the video and the sequence soundtrack together. Yes, you must rematch the video and audio together so they must be spot on. Once that is done, you export the new video compilation as either an mp4 or wmv file that LOR will recognize. Now you open a new LOR music sequence and use that new video compilation as the audio/video source. Now open the original sequence. From the original sequence, copy and paste everything into the new sequence. You could edit only the original sequence and replace the audio file with the new video file. You would still have to slew all of the sequence data to match the new compilation. I prefer to create a new file and then copy and paste because it leaves me with the OEM file still there to backup too if needed.

This links your sequence data to the new video/audio sequence. Now in the preferences, select which monitor you wish the video to be sent too. First select which monitor then select the sizing and save it. In S6, you'll need to do this twice as the player has its own configuration which looks the same.

You have to figure out your own cabling to get the video monitor to the outside and to the projector. I personally use a "short-throw", high ANSI Lumen type, not to be confused with the cheaper LED high lumen types (Note: ANSI Lumens are different that Lumens). The projector MUST be protected from the elements but gets very hot so it must also be cooled. Then there's screens, garage doors, light colored walls and etc...

Doing all of this, you set yourself up for a possible show using "whole house projection" which is really cool but you must use a very high ANSI Lumen projector and I suggest only for lighter colored homes. So it provides you options for the future. I'd be doing that myself this year except that I intend on selling and moving next year. This whole-house projection, referred as VDO Mapping, is more involved or costly so I'd rather wait till I'm done moving.

I appreciate all the great advice @dgrant. We have been using a 4k projector the last few years and playing harry potter during halloween and rotating xmas movies leading up to xmas. We didn't protect from the elements, I just would take it out at 6pm and bring it in before bed each night which has worked fairly well. I may try to build a cooled weather box for it the next few weeks so I can be lazy and leave it out. 

I am not RBG cool yet where i can do that kind of projection, but syncing my existing LOR light shows with videos projected on garage door will be a delight for the kiddos. 

I respectfully suggest that you check out digitalpressworks.com

There you can get plans and build your own box or buy one from them.