Light-O-Rama Forums

HU Not Finding Controllers

fanggallo

My 10 year old show pc running windows xp finally died. I'm configuring my backup pc which is running windows 7. I installed S4 and sequences are playing properly. However, this pc does not have a serial port so I bought a USB to serial adapter. The drivers are updated. When I run hardware utility and use auto configure for the comm port, the adapter flashes green which tells me its transmitting. For some reason HU will not find my controllers. I did get a cmd window pop up when I selected "ignore all errors" and it referenced .NET framework. Could .NET be causing this issue? My LOR version is S4 and my .NET is 4.8. Both compatible with windows 7.

Any help is appreciated.

18 hours ago, fanggallo said:

My 10 year old show pc running windows xp finally died. I'm configuring my backup pc which is running windows 7. I installed S4 and sequences are playing properly. However, this pc does not have a serial port so I bought a USB to serial adapter. The drivers are updated. When I run hardware utility and use auto configure for the comm port, the adapter flashes green which tells me its transmitting. For some reason HU will not find my controllers. I did get a cmd window pop up when I selected "ignore all errors" and it referenced .NET framework. Could .NET be causing this issue? My LOR version is S4 and my .NET is 4.8. Both compatible with windows 7.

Any help is appreciated.

Stop pushing the "panic button" Auto Configure Comm Ports each time you enter the HU.

Once the comm port is configured, never push Ac again. You will be chasing your tail.

Just select search each time after the comm port is configured. Also S4 likes comm 3 to be the default port.

That should help you out.

J.R.

• Like 1

Agree with J.R.  I have changed computers many times, upgraded to newer versions of the software, but I've never changed my RS485  dongles from what they were when first installed.

And I have NEVER, not once, used the HU Auto Configure Comm Port button.  Seems it causes more issues than it's worth.  

Personally, I don't think the Auto Configure Comm Port really needs to be there at all.  Just seems to be unneccessary to me.  Like stated, I've never used it, not even on my initial(original) install of the LOR Software back in 2009/2010.

Honestly, I wish there was a way to disable that button, or hide it entirely, so it couldn't be accidentally clicked on.  I've never done it, but I might one day, and if it were disabled or hidden, I wouldn't have to even worry about doing that.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Orville said:

Agree with J.R.  I have changed computers many times, upgraded to newer versions of the software, but I've never changed my RS485  dongles from what they were when first installed.

And I have NEVER, not once, used the HU Auto Configure Comm Port button.  Seems it causes more issues than it's worth.  

Personally, I don't think the Auto Configure Comm Port really needs to be there at all.  Just seems to be unneccessary to me.  Like stated, I've never used it, not even on my initial(original) install of the LOR Software back in 2009/2010.

Honestly, I wish there was a way to disable that button, or hide it entirely, so it couldn't be accidentally clicked on.  I've never done it, but I might one day, and if it were disabled or hidden, I wouldn't have to even worry about doing that.

Auto configure comm ports is useful for someone like me that needs a bunch of comm ports but not the normal user fresh install.

I lost 13 of my adapters in 2017 when I dropped a part on my controller and didnt know it had hit the auto configure. I had a little warning box that I assumed was the "do you want to use this port to run your show" without actually reading it. I spent a weekend reconfiguring all 13 adapters. That was after I had told others to not push that button. LOL

J.R.

• Haha 1