Light-O-Rama Forums

Fickering on newly added E1.31 device.

cdnlor

I was trying to add an Experience Lights Genius E1.31 controller to my show this year but I am having intermittent flickering issues when running LOR (using 6.2.14 Pro).

I have another E1.31 controller hooked up to the same switch that I do not have any issues with.

When I connect to the controller via its web interface and use the test feature I do not have any issues.

However I have the issue when running through LOR, both when using the test section of the control panel, or when running a sequence in the sequence editor.

Flickering happens intermittently, sometimes every 3 seconds sometimes every 10 or more.  Happens on all colors and only on currently lit pixels.  No issue with unlit pixels.

I have several strings connected and it occurs on all them (not at the same time).  Strings are connected directly to the controller (no extensions).

I have tried without the switch, running the network cable straight from the PC to the controller.

I tried several different pixel strings.  All are WS2811.

I tried 2 different power supplies

I tried different network cables.

I tried recreating the test sequence to ensure I didn’t have a twinkle or something applied.  I can take the effect that I feed to my other E1.31 controller without issue and paste it to the row for the Genius and the flickering occurs.

I tried disabling the computer’s wifi

I tried running a continuous ping to the controller via cmd prompt.  No ping issues after running for several minutes.

I tried running on another computer.

I tried using a different IP address.

I ran wireshark but don’t know how to interpret my logs

Any other suggestions?

I would check your pigtail connections to on the controller. One spider leg (bare wire grounding out or loose) can cause all strings to have those type of flickering. Ensure your ends are properly seated into the terminal lugs.

Thats a start.

J.R.

Edited by dibblejr

You did a lot of checks 👍

The only thing I can come up with is you are overloading the PSU momentarily (assumes the PSU swap was the same)

💡 Attach a small (test) LED directly to the PSU power. does it flicker when the other strings do?

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

You did a lot of checks 👍

The only thing I can come up with is you are overloading the PSU momentarily (assumes the PSU swap was the same)

💡 Attach a small (test) LED directly to the PSU power. does it flicker when the other strings do?

The power supplies I am using were both 300W.  I also only have a couple strings attached so didn't think I could have been overloading it.  I did attach a test string directly to the PSU and no it did not flicker.

31 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I would check your pigtail connections to on the controller. One spider leg (bare wire grounding out or loose) can cause all strings to have those type of flickering. Ensure your ends are properly seated into the terminal lugs.

Thats a start.

J.R.

I have checked several times and tried several different plugs.  I always soldier my wires to avoid having strays.  I had assumed if it was a stray it would have shown up when running a test via the web interface but it is fine then.  Only shows up via LOR.

This appears to have been firmware related.  I have a 2022 model of the board.  They had a Sept update but it was only listed for the 2023 version.  I flashed it anyway and flickering went away.  I reflashed with the older version and it returned.  Thank you to all for the suggestions but I it appears I can stop pulling my hair out.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, cdnlor said:

This appears to have been firmware related.  I have a 2022 model of the board.  They had a Sept update but it was only listed for the 2023 version.  I flashed it anyway and flickering went away.  I reflashed with the older version and it returned.  Thank you to all for the suggestions but I it appears I can stop pulling my hair out.

Happy you figured it out. 

Happy Lighting

J.R.