Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels are confusing and I need help

Lucas P

4 hours ago, Lucas P said:

Direct from lor

Since LOR does sell dumb RGB controllers, I'd think they'd sell dumb RGB.  So it could possibly be possible you ordered dumb instead of smart pixels.  Hard to say without knowing exactly which LOR RGB pixel strings you purchased.

1 minute ago, Orville said:

Since LOR does sell dumb RGB controllers, I'd think they'd sell dumb RGB.  So it could possibly be possible you ordered dumb instead of smart pixels.  Hard to say without knowing exactly which LOR RGB pixel strings you purchased.

Nope, dumb RGB are four wire and the pic shows three. I bet 10-1 he has them wired backwards.

Edited by Mr. P

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Nope, dumb RGB are four wire and the pic shows three. I bet 10-1 he has them wired backwards.

I've got some smart pixels that ARE 4 wire, so I didn't know if dumb pixels could be 3 wire or not, since all my pixels are smart RGB.   5V smart CCB's(LOR) I have are all 4-wire.  All my 12V pixels are all H.C. and they are all 3 wire.

I also use Xconnect(H.C. Easyplug3) connectors on my pixie4's and my Pixie16D, have no idea what connector the OP is using, but don't think it's LOR or an H.C. connector, I don't recognize those wire colors. 

And as most of us know, not all connectors are wired the same  and getting the wrong one, miswired, to what the lights expect may let out the magic smoke.

Edited by Orville

9 minutes ago, Orville said:

LOR doesn't sell dumb RGB controllers. The CMB24D is a DC controller that just happens to control RGB products.
I can't recall any dumb RGB strings in LOR history, but I've slept a time or two. (Floods are not strings, fyi.)

All of my strings/strips that come with connectors (100's of them) all have male connectors on the input side. The op pic shows a female connector on the input side so it's either wired from the wrong end or they attached the connectors to the string themselves.

9 minutes ago, Don said:

LOR doesn't sell dumb RGB controllers. The CMB24D is a DC controller that just happens to control RGB products.
I can't recall any dumb RGB strings in LOR history, but I've slept a time or two. (Floods are not strings, fyi.)

I've seen folks many times refering to that controller as a "dumb" RGB controller, and since I don't own one, I was going by the many times I've seen it referred to like that.

Thanks for letting me know, like said, just going on how I've seen it referred too, which apparently is abd was referenced incorrectly.

I know floods are not strings, I have 8 smart 10W floods myself and planning on adding a few more.

Edited by Orville

4 minutes ago, Orville said:

I've seen folks many times refering to that controller as a "dumb" RGB controller, and since I don't own one, I was going by the many times I've seen it referred to like that.

Thanks for letting me know, like said, just going on how I've seen it referred too, which apparently is abd was referenced incorrectly.

I know floods are not strings, I have 8 smart 10W floods myself and planning on adding a few more.

It's really no big deal as most refer to it as a dumb controller, Don is just being technical.

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

All of my strings/strips that come with connectors (100's of them) all have male connectors on the input side. The op pic shows a female connector on the input side so it's either wired from the wrong end or they attached the connectors to the string themselves.

The male pins are always the input, but you can't base that on the outside threaded part of the connector.  There are many standards.

https://www.wiredwatts.com/learn-connectors

12 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yea, all mine too.  I should have noticed that myself, but was more intent looking at the wiring to the connector on the pixie board. 

I think you're probably correct, the OP's lights are probably wired in reverse. 

Magic smoke may come out again from the pixie, and/or the light strands if they are truly wired in reverse!

Edited by Orville

11 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The male pins are always the input, but you can't base that on the outside threaded part of the connector.  There are many standards.

I always thought it was no standard, and therin, lies the problem at times.

Might be a specific company standard for a mated connector pair, but would be much less complicated if there WAS a SET STANDARD in the holiday lighting world.

Edited by Orville

Looking at LOR documentation, their dongles are the threaded end (but there should be sockets inside). I use HC, those have the nut, but the inside is  sockets. You can't mix brands.

BTW the LOR doc on dongles all show flat wire ? (My dumb floods have 4 cond round wire and a smaller diameter connector than shown

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Correct but the op stated they were LOR bulbs so they have the same config as the Xconnect, male pins on the threaded side connected to lights and female sockets on the spinner end on the pigtail.

Edited by Mr. P

jumping in here late.

1- Your license level says "advanced" you need a Pro level license to use pixie controllers

2- If you have any jumpers on any pins - REMOVE them ALL. At this point it doesn't appear you need the accessory jumper.

3- Those pigtail connectors do not appear to be LOR?

4- Why is the pigtail connector so short?

5- Do you have the controller connected to an RS485 adapter?

Based on your original statement I am thinking you connected your first one directly to your computer without the adapter, poof fried comm chip instantly. Not sure why LOR would have you send it back for an easy comm chip replacement.

Thats a start.

J.R.