Light-O-Rama Forums

software cant find controller

Sparky4u

Good morning.  I have a pixie 2D that I am setting up.  I was able to set the unit ID number to 86 on aux B.  Now that I have it set the hardware utility can not find it. I am able to play a sequence on the controller so I know all the cables are good to go.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help as I am at my witts end.

37 minutes ago, Sparky4u said:

Good morning.  I have a pixie 2D that I am setting up.  I was able to set the unit ID number to 86 on aux B.  Now that I have it set the hardware utility can not find it. I am able to play a sequence on the controller so I know all the cables are good to go.  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help as I am at my witts end.

Did you first set all the switches to OFF (If using HU to set ID)? It reverts to the switch setting upon a power cycle. (applies to all Pixies)

Your other choice is to set the ID via the switches.

The pixie is  set to the proper channel. The problem is when I refresh the hardware utility now it is not seeing the controller.  As previously mentioned, it will play the proper sequence.

2 minutes ago, stevehoyt said:

did you set the "max unit id" to be high enough? it is in the top right conner of the utility

<smack> I keep mine  just above my last controller (ending) ID for faster finds.  8X is getting up there

2 hours ago, Sparky4u said:

Okay, I'm not sure if this is your issue, and seems folk are missing this, how many RS485 dongles do you have connected to your PC?  Each AUX  port REQUIRES its own dongle!  Are you running shows from a multi-port Director, like the N4-G4, if yes, this is why your sequence will operate, as Directors don't require any dongles for running shows from an SD Card, dongle is needed to update Director Firmware or set its clock from the HU(might be different in S5/S6), haven't had a chance to check S6 out installed on my laptop, so can't say about it.

But this is how my older PC with S4 is set up.

I have 2 RS485 dongles, So I have the Black RS485B for my older Gen 1 CTB16PC controller (Regular Network/COM 3), I have a Red HS RS485 dongle for my Pixie Controllers which is AUX A/COM 4.  If I want to use AUX B, that would require a 3rd HS RS485 dongle, which could be on COM 5 or any unused COM port.

And if you do have enough dongles connected, are you selecting the correct dongle(COM PORT) it's connected too?  And are you connecting the controller to the correct dongle?

The HU DOES NOT list all controllers connected if they ALL ARE NOT connected to the same dongle, so if your Pixie2D is connected to AUX B, which would be dongle #3 and the COM PORT it was assigned would be what you need to select in the HU to see it register in the list.

Hope this may help you access your Puxie via the HU.  It's the only thing I can think of that could be the issue.