Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel starting point

Sparky4u

Good afternoon.  I have some homemade props as well as those purchased through LOR that are all pixels.  Where should I have pixel #1 ? Left side or right side?  TIA.

For the most part, it's up to you.  HOWEVER, if it i a prop that you bought and has a prop file for you to import into your preview, it will usually specify the pixel layout.  It that prop has a picture of the layout, that will normally be from the viewpoint of the audience..

If I have 2 props that may mirror each other, then pixel #1 on one may start on the left, the mirrored prop would start on the right.

For example my two yard Angels the one that faces left(viewing from the front) the #1 pixel starts on the bottom right (viewing from the back) #1 pixel is on the lower left.  The mirrored Angel, just change pixel #1 (front) is on the bottom left, on the back, it's on the bottom right.

However, I could have wired them both exactly the same.  But, I did it this way for easier sequencing, so when both Angels are called in a song, lights start on opposite sides on each Angel, but flow toward each other on the Angels outlines.

And as Jim said, it doesn't matter, it's where you want it to be and start from.

Whatever works best for you.

In S5/6 you can change the starting pixel and direction in the Prop Def. This way you do not have to reverse the physical strands when building the prop.

JR

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

In S5/6 you can change the starting pixel and direction in the Prop Def. This way you do not have to reverse the physical strands when building the prop.

JR

Yes, aware of that.  But I still prefer to do it the way I do it, especially since many of my RGB items have been wired that way.  This way all my props are all configured the same way, especially those that are mirrored.

If I started changing the new ones, I'd just end up making a confusing situation, trying to remember, which prop is wired which way. 

Even though I mark pixel #1, markings fade away.  I try to remark before that happens, but in Florida with the sun, heat and rain, sometimes it fades away before I get it re-marked again.😂

Just find it easier for me, but as stated, personal preference.  No set right or wrong way to wire your own modified props you add RGB lights too, not ones that never had them in the first place.

LOR, H.C. or others props I buy pre-drilled, I always follow their recommendations for installing RGB Lights in the prop.  If none is marjed, or given, then I start installing RGB lights whereever I think they should start, top, bottom, side, etc.

All boils down to "personal preference" for the most part.

Hey Sparky, I see that you're using S6 in your profile - it looks like Orville's profile says S4 so I don't want you to get confused with advice since sequencing has greatly changed since that version.

With S6, when you sequence "left/right/up/down," the effect goes the literal direction you chose - Pixel 1 does not matter from that standpoint ('left' doesn't mean 1 to 100 and 'right' doesn't mean 100 to 1). Pixel 1 comes back into play outside - if you install it backwards from what you said in the preview, the effects will look 'backwards,' because the preview is going to lock in "left to right" and convert it to pixel data output for effects based on what you drew. In summary, just be consistent with what you draw - make sure the preview matches outside. In S6, you can tell where pixel 1 is by looking for the dark blue square at the start of the strand.

2 hours ago, Aubrey said:

Hey Sparky, I see that you're using S6 in your profile - it looks like Orville's profile says S4 so I don't want you to get confused with advice since sequencing has greatly changed since that version.

With S6, when you sequence "left/right/up/down," the effect goes the literal direction you chose - Pixel 1 does not matter from that standpoint ('left' doesn't mean 1 to 100 and 'right' doesn't mean 100 to 1). Pixel 1 comes back into play outside - if you install it backwards from what you said in the preview, the effects will look 'backwards,' because the preview is going to lock in "left to right" and convert it to pixel data output for effects based on what you drew. In summary, just be consistent with what you draw - make sure the preview matches outside. In S6, you can tell where pixel 1 is by looking for the dark blue square at the start of the strand.

S6 is installed on my new Win11 laptop, but currently still in demo mode for the moment.  As I'll be working with it after I get this years display over and done with in Jan. 2024. 

Plan on getting it out of demo mode since I have already updated my license for the newest S6 versions.

For now, still using S4, yes.  Transistion to S6 after Christmas 2023.

12 minutes ago, Orville said:

S6 is installed on my new Win11 laptop, but currently still in demo mode for the moment.  As I'll be working with it after I get this years display over and done with in Jan. 2024. 

Plan on getting it out of demo mode since I have already updated my license for the newest S6 versions.

For now, still using S4, yes.  Transistion to S6 after Christmas 2023.

Awesome! Don't forget to change the version in your profile after you 100% upgrade!