Light-O-Rama Forums

Down sizing due to projects

ebrown1972

I am currently remodeling a few rooms in my house. I want to have this done by Thanksgiving since we host Thanksgiving at our house. I do not see me being able to have a complete display like I normally have this year. Should I just forgo the display this year? I could put my matrix up and my tree which wouldn't take me long at all. I usually have about 15,000 pixels in my display. I just don't want to disappoint everyone and am looking for opinions on what I should do this year. Help me make a decison please. Thanks, Eric

Last year, I had to take an unexpected trip out of town just as I was about to put up my display. I didn't get back until the beginning of December and had the same thoughts as you do now. With help from a neighbor I put out a smaller show. Now my entire display is small in comparison around here, but it's still the largest in the neighborhood. So I put up the basic things with the most pop...my mega tree, mini trees, leaping arches, and lined the garage and front door, and then a few bushes and spotlights. I usually put out some wire frame deer and a sleigh, but they take a lot of time.  I also usually put string up in the trees but only wrapped a coup of trunks. Basically, minimal ladder work (the mega tree and lining the top of the garage and around the front door). We have a pond across the street with a gazebo and usually I put up strings on bushes around it to mimic the min trees, but not last year. Just no time.

So I think if you think about the minimal things with the most pop, you'll come up with something you can do.

• Like 2

I agree, put out the partial show.  Do not re-sequence.  If really inspired, put out a sign that says the full show will be back next year.

• Like 2

And the thing that REALLY bothered me last year was that I spent a LOT of time reprogramming to add two firesticks with stars on top and never completed actually building them. So, maybe THIS year. Sigh.....

49 minutes ago, tlogan said:

And the thing that REALLY bothered me last year was that I spent a LOT of time reprogramming to add two firesticks with stars on top and never completed actually building them. So, maybe THIS year. Sigh.....

I know that feeling.  I have had stuff sequenced for years in some cases that were not actually built!

• Sad 1

Eric   last year i decided to start to downsize my display after many years. I'm 74 years old so put up only half of my display. so after Christmas every time my wife went shopping people would stop to talk to her and ask if I died because the display was so small 'she would reply just old not dead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the responses guys. I am hoping I can finish my projects and still have my full light show up and running this year but that's going to be tough. If not, I will most likely just do the smaller display. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Small display means ?

1 MegaTree?

1 Singing face?

Whatever can be done with 1 Controller? 😮

4 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Small display means ?

In my case my Christmas Display will have (providing I can get it all done) are:

2 Large RGB Yard Angels. 50 nodes each.

1 Large RGB Snowman and also have strobes inside him, strobes on ctb16pc.

16 RGB Candy Canes (small, converted pathway light markers). 1 C9 node in each candy cane, 2 sets of 8 canes. 16 nodes total.

14 strings of 50ct. C9 strawberry RGB lights.

3 medium RGB Snowflakes (150 nodes)

1 Large RGB Chroma Cross (100 nodes)

8 RGB H.C. Tombstones 100 nodes per 4 tombstones. (200 nodes total  each set of 4 on their own port)

2 LOR V1 RGB Singing Trees, Ralphie and Zuzu.

8 H.C. RGB 10W Floodlights

All RGB Lights are Smart RGB.

Controllers:

1 CTB16PC V1 AC Controller

1 Pixie16DV4 12V Controller

2 Pixie4DV5 12V Controllers

1 CCB100DV1 5V Controller (Candy Canes)

3 Pixie2D 12V Controllers (used as spares).

EDIT: OOPS, forgot, all run by an N4-G4 MP3 Director.  (END EDIT).

That's MY SMALL Display.🫨🤣🤣

Is that small enough?🤔😁😃

Edited by Orville

4 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Small display means ?

Tree, Matrix, leaping arches, 2 eight foot flakes, and most likely some srobes.

3 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

ORVILLE   Thats pretty big for small ,

And I forgot all the incan items on the CTB16PC controller! 

And those are all Blowmolds:

Waving Santa

Mrs. Claus

2 Red Noel Candles (stalk and flame are 2 channels) - total 4 channels

2 Gold Noel Candles - same setup as the Red Noel Candles - total 4 channels.

Very Small Snowwoman

Very Small Santa Mouse

Total of 12 channels out of 16 used.

---------------------------------------

Projects that are still a work in progess:

The 2 RGB Yard Angels still need to ve drilled and the RGB nides inserted.

1 potted artificial tree (used to be a Gemmy Lightshow tree set), had 2 originally, but my cats murdered(destroyed) one of them. This will be converted to an RGB tree using C9 strawberry nodes.  The lighrs and electronics had stopped functioning in. them.  So, the one left is being repurposed.

Most all of this is on, or around, my 66' wrap-around handicap ramp, and some out in front of the house.  Out front is an extremely small 13-1\2 foot wide x 2 feet deep sand area.  And my side yard (front door side) is mostly taken up by the handicap ramp(about 2 feet of yard space along the ramp outside), the other side (back door side) is taken up with the Central AC/Heat unit, a 10x12 shed(mounted on driveway at end of drive) and the rest of the driveway to the street, with a small sliver of grassy area about 1-1\2 foot wide, and stairs from the back door down to the yard.

Living in a manufactured home(glorified mobile home) in a manufactured home park has some major yard limitations.

It's even amazing I find a spot to get this stuff placed in.  And this year there have been new additions to my yard space  a very tall and large 6 tuered waterfall fountain and flowers and bushes planted  so this year is going to be an even bigger challenge getting everything worked in to my extremely packed yardspace.

So, in reality, I don't actually have a yard at all!  Hence  my display, rven though sounds bigger, it's actually quite small and compact.

BTW: and I still have 3 or 4 inflateables too I added last year, one is extremely large, so I may not be using the Nativity this year(just added it last year), but now my new shed sits in front of the only area it fits in my yard!

Building my display in my yard is like packing sardines in a can!🤣🤣🤣

It's a challenge, that's for sure.