Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Pixie 8

Lights on Mandan

OK - I am new to pixels this year, and am adding a number of props including 4 - 50 pixel arches (wanted the larger arches) and 4 candy canes which are in a strip of lawn next to the street.  In the LOR sequences and props the default is that these are controlled by 2 pixie 4 controllers.  From everything I read (and watch) I think these can be controlled with a single pixie 8 controller.  I want to keep wires and hardware to a minimum in this strip of lawn, so I would like to use a single pixie 8 to control them.  I think as long as I as I identify the pixie 8 with a proper unit ID's this should work.  I realize I will have to modify the sequence (LOR RGB sequence), but is there any reason this plan will not work?  TIA and I ask you cut the newbie a little slack!

Any Pixie has sequential ID's off of the base that you set.  So if a Pixie 4 was set to 20 and the next was 24, you simply set a Pixie8 to 20 and the old ID 24 port1 is now port5. Nothing to change except where the cables attach. 👍

?? You still have 8 Port cables and now some need to get longer (but not over 25' MAX to first node. Shorter if more than 50 nodes).  All you saved is a CAT5 and Power cable  (and a controller box).

Are your Pixie4 boxes a ready to go version from LOR or something you grew?  There can be advantages of 2 Pixie4's in a box over a Pixie8. Many Pixie settings affects every port, so 2 pixie4's allows differences (node chips, resolution...) that can't be done with a Pixie8 (or 16). In my case I built a CG1500 case with 2 CMB24 (this could be Pixie 16's or any othe combo) and a Pixie4. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XssqectruJzV7RgB6YgUAjyPWDy9K_IY/view?usp=drive_link

with 2 350W Weather resistant PSU's on the back https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OrEZiskjJj2fhwuzkadZ22k9mZ9LZU30/view?usp=drive_link

That is 1 controller box if a small footprint is needed.

Another option with interior PSU , is just to mount back to back

The good thing is that my distance to any prop is 15 ft or less if I keep the controller in the middle.  I thought that effects on these props were pretty standard and I could get away with everything pretty much the same (remember I am new to this stuff), and creating 2 groups for the props (arches and candy canes).  The pixie4's are LOR and the pixie8 is homebrew (still putting it together).

Am I making this too difficult?