Light-O-Rama Forums

Guide to info on S6 max number of pixels

stevehoyt

@MattBrown As you have seen in my other post.

I am considering upgrading a matrix I have. Currently my entire display is running about 6500 pixels and just under 20,000 pixel channels.

Some of the matrixes that I see.... e.g. if i went to a 4 foot high by 5 foot wide in P10 panels  160 pixels wide by 128 pixel high would be a total of 20,480 pixels.  If I went with P5 panels it would double for numbers to 320 x 256 to 81,920 pixels.  Multiple that by3 for the number of channels Yikes

I realize the programming  PC makes a big difference . I have a powerful PC for doing the show programming, I can provide details if needed.  So if my PC is OK and  assuming I have the right hardware connecting  all this, with perhaps multiple hundreds of universes, my  last concern would be S6.

I have read the LOR info on hardware. I am sure it is somewhere, but can anyone steer me to info/ a post on practical upper limits for S6 pixels. 

I think I read somewhere at one pint that you can use 999 universes so that would break down to 169,830 pixels or 509,490 channels with two channels left over from each universe, 1,998 channels. A few years ago Matt Brown stated that they tested 750 full universes with 127,500 pixels or 382,500 channels with no issues. Now mind you, this was in S5 but I don't expect S6 to be that much different.

Edited by Mr. P

Yes, you can assign universes from 1 to 999.  Each universe is 512 channels (and for P5 and P10 panels you will likely use all 512, and not stop at 510 per universe).

With your 5 wide by 8 panels high, that would be 480 universes.