Light-O-Rama Forums

Fundraiser commercial light display ideas?

Dr_Aplet

In our town we have a little non-profit Christian school that needs to raise funds to keep the school going.  It would be nice to do a fund raiser that is not just taxing the parents.  I was thinking about a drive through/ walk through Christmas light set up to rent where the school can charge cars or people to take part in the display.  Does anyone know of commercial setup is northern California that can do a larger set up or people that do that kind of thing?  I know they had one in Chico Ca, one year that was really cool.  I plan to set up a donation box for the school outside my house this year.  Any other ideas along this line would be great. 

Just remember one thing here, you CAN NOT RENT or CHARGE using music in those displays.  You will have to get song/music useage rights from the recording company and pay royalty fees and other costs if doing a display, even a fund raiser on commercial or business property  and this does include schools.

Setting a donation box for the school on YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY is fine, but the minute you charge an entrance fee, or any additional fees, then you ARE REQUIRED to get permission, and pay any and all associated fees to the recording company that owns the rights to any songs/music you may want to use.

Just because you may have bought the song, whether digital  tape, CD or any other media, does not give you ownership to use it commercially.

Several years ago, the recording companies, as long as there wrre no charges to watch, enter or walk through your displsy on YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY, they allow us to use music freely, and a donation only box for a worthy cause is acceptable, as long as 100% of those donations go to the charity or school, but YOU CAN NOT set up on commercial or public property without forking over some money to do a display there, can't even do it on your own business property without paying these fees, and they AREN'T CHEAP!

Doing so, and getting caught can net you not only expensive fees for lawyers, court, but could even net you jail time.

Just things you really need to consider, the music industry does not play around, just one complaint from someone is all that could set of a chain of trouble, and expenses  and they'll come seeking you out.

You can do an animation display just fine, anywhere you want, but as soon as you add music, that's an entirely different situation, and one that can have some serious repurcussions.

Edited by Orville

@Dr_Aplet    I see you enrolled in MIIP.    You can set up a Venmo link on your page to accept donations.    If you want a banner of your charity send it to me.    

Ditto  Orv     Donations are the way.  Charging is trouble and invites complaint's.     I have been doing this for years.     People really appreciate and like talking to the show artist.   Just hold up your phone with MIIP on it and tell them to pick the song they want to hear and 'this year we are collecting donations for '   

Thanks for the advice on music and such.  Donations would certainly be the way to go.  For my display setting up venmo and a drop box would be cool. 

Another thing to think about with music is you can use CC0, royalty free creative commons music which I have only done some Halloween music for because I don't want scary stuff for the kids so i did some whimsical music with those. Here is a link to those https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pR_en7EiAC9TpD-gCgb_Q1CggN0BsSIG. 

Any music in the Public Domain can be used, and the other you mentioned is good to go without issues.

Just got to watch out for those that are owned by the big music moguls that'll get you into boiling water.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered.

Good luck with it!🙂

Edited by Orville