Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting Pixels this year... questions

Sterling

Working through the various options with pixels.  Was hoping to get some advice. Here are my questions so far...

I would like to permanent install roofline pixels:

1. I like the HC Pixatrack.  Are there any better ones out there?  

2. HC has a 50 node RGB with 3" that is $10 less than LOR 50 node RGB that is 6" spacing.  So other than the limitation in spacing, is there any other plus or minus between the two?  Especially when connecting to LOR controllers/software

2. I want to use LOR controllers.  I am very confused when they say:

In order to connect to Light-O-Rama pixel strings, either the assembled controller or the pixel strings need to have attached dangles (but not both). Please select the appropriate option at the time of purchase.

I don't get if you don't have the dangle connector on both side, how do you connect it?  I can find no info around connecting except the bare wires.  So if I get HC RGB I don't know what connectors to get for LOR.  are dangles the 3 hole screw connectors or bare wires?  

That is it for now.... I know there are a lot of nitty gritty software details, but I need to work out the basic connections before I get there.  I bought a neighbors show props as he stopped a few years ago so I will be using a mix of older and newer controllers etc.  It will be interesting! I know this first year will be complicated setting up for the first time so plan to start really early.   

Thanks!  

Greg

I can't speak to the permanent install, but just bear in mind that eventually you will get failures which will require service. There are a few threads on here I recall concerning permanent install. They ought to show up in a search.

I use pixels mounted to pvc for my windows and under eaves during the season.

LOR has its Pixie controllers with 4,8 or 16 ports. Each port can handle up to 170 pixels but depending on the length of lead in wire, current draw of the pixels and other factors can affect how many pixels you can run.

There are other controllers such as the Falcon series for example, which use a different protocol. They will still work with LOR software but use Ethernet for communication instead of the LOR system of RS 485.

Pixels  typically use three wires, plus 5 or 12 volts, data and ground. You can wire them directly to the controller ports, but it is more convenient to have a female dangle plug hanging from the controller for each port and a matching male on the pixel string.

Unfortunately ther are numerous style and pinouts of dangles, so it is important that the male and female ends match. I would always suggest checking the pinouts with a meter to be sure.

That'll do for starters.

The second Q

Dangles have to match the brand as there are no standard. One advantage of LOR RTG packages is no chasing down pieces. The strings just plug in. Need an extension, click there.

💡 Once you choose to go with dangles, you are pretty much in bed with that supplier, there are a few places that offer 'convert adapters'

Do you need dangles? With Pixies, they use 4 pin plugs (at he board). They are not designed for frequent removal. They are wide, making entry to the controller a PITA. Not a big issue for a Inside display, but outdoors, you want weather resistant... Dangles

Another point about Permanent installs

SUN

My nodes show yellowing after a few months.  I don't remember how brutal sun was in your area (mostly was at Heavenly in the Winter),

Here it has faded a custom Dragon Parking Only sign in 3 years to almost unreadable (it spent 10Y in the SF Bay area, prior to that with little change)

Thanks all! This helps.  Still don't understand the dangle thing.   I'll get the scoop from LOR how to order them.   

Dangles get from the board, usually inside a case, to where you can easily plug in the cord from the strings.

The dangles on the AC controllers are just the socket end of an extension cord.

Pixels are polarity sensitive and have a Data wire, so their dangle support that cable, while discouraging any other (also helps reduce unwanted smoke 😛)

BTW 'Dangle' is a generic term for any connection that hangs. Also called a Pig Tail.

in most cases LOR and other sell the mating dangle separately because you don't need 2 if you daisy chain 2 50 count strings (100) So you order 2 strings and 1 matching dangle (if needed).

LOR RTG packages are sold with strings for every port, so the controller has a full set of dangles.  Currently Pixie2 is only sold WITH strings and the dangles are permanent.

If using LOR Pixels - you need LOR dangles (Pigtails)  and extensions..

If using HC Pixels - you need HC EasyPlug3 (xConnect) Pigtails  and extensions..

If using RayWu Pixels - you need RayWu Pigtails and extensions..

LOR calls them Dangles because they "Dangle" out from the Controller... More commonly referred to as "Pigtails"

Edited by Jimehc

Pixatrack is interesting. What is a bit odd, is 1 section has 80 holes (12mm nodes). Standard strings are 50 or 100. You could use LOR Bullets in those. strips.

Still not an issue as you can cut off the excess (and use for spares or the next module).  As Phil pointed out, failures happen.

IMHO Building each section as a unit allows you to unsnap and easily service that section on the ground (assumes the connector is in the unit)

If you do cut, you will need to attach a mating pigtail at the cuts. HC does offer their easyplug3 in a flat set https://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Wire-Pigtail-20-AWG-Flat-Cable-EasyPlug3-xConnec-p/823.htm   (I would still use the round dangle at the controller as it is more rugged) I went with the EasyPlug series because of all the supporting accessories (caps,plugs,pigtails. 'T''s can be used for power inject point. HC has a FAQ/YT on that. I use Pugs and Caps on all unused connections. 💡 I cap/plug cables while dragging thru the sandy dirt during setup. 💡 Caps/plugs also keep the ends from being deformed in storage if you can't plug ends together )

Another think to think about: The package include 66+ feet. Where are you going to place the controllers (if you use all 66')?  25' is a long feed for a 50+node string and the middle is 33' (not counting the lead TO the strip)