Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone ever -

paralegalnc

Anyone ever hook up the controllers to a school lighting system?  I have someone who is interested in me programming lights for a dance show.

It will be done at a high school.  I am not sure how I would control, if it can be done, to control stage lights or the school lighting system.

Anyone know? 

I ran a Ward-Leonard board (way back when) in HS.  Most of the lamps exceeded (500-1000W) the per channel limit of modern LOR controllers. Do schools now use LEDS?

(FWIW Ward-Leonard used Variable Transformers (like Variac) with long handles (gangable) for each Lamp circuit. Colors were by putting 'gels' in front of the lamp lens )                     

Yeah we thought about that.  After discussion with them, we are going to bypass the school's system for the one song she is But .  Still in the "rattleing around in my head" phase.  The event is June 3 and its only a 5 minute song (collection of songs) - I wish I had like 2-3 months as there isn't even a stage design yet.  But they had seen our Christmas show and just got an idea ya know.... so who knows.  Maybe I can throw something together - would it be as great as if I had more time...no... but we shall see. Its a cool challenge

What type of equipment do they have?  (simple wall dimmers or more ...)

What type of lights? Remember, not all kinds are dimmable.

Oh! And the scary part: "tie them in".  This should only done with permission AND by licensed professionals (as it a school)

I agree with what @TheDucks said, but just chiming in to say, that if the school has an existing DMX dimmer system, it would be far better (and more practical) to use their existing packs.

This can be done with either a DMX dongle, or a LOR dongle using a crossover cable, with your standard cat-5 with pins 4-5 on one end and presumably a 3 or 5 pin XLR plug on the other (depending on the system).

Would be nice if there were photos to see what the existing system is to gain a better idea.

If it is a standard DMX system it would be as simple as unplugging the existing console and plugging your LOR computer with a dongle in it's place for the show.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

I agree with what @TheDucks said, but just chiming in to say, that if the school has an existing DMX dimmer system, it would be far better (and more practical) to use their existing packs.

This can be done with either a DMX dongle, or a LOR dongle using a crossover cable, with your standard cat-5 with pins 4-5 on one end and presumably a 3 or 5 pin XLR plug on the other (depending on the system).

If it is a standard DMX system it would be as simple as unplugging the existing console and plugging your LOR computer with a dongle in it's place for the show.

I concur. I am a musician and have been noticing at some high end venues the groups will use a laptop to control the Lights through DMX. A lot of Concert venues have converted there light systems to DMX and it is awesome how modern bands just plug in there laptops and use it to play back a click/backing track that is sequenced with basic DMX light settings. These bands use in ear monitors and the backing/click track plays in their ears. they play the music and the lights match the live music perfectly. I is awesome to see. I have been wanting to set up my 100x50 Matrix behind my drum kit and use an S6 drumless audio track of a random song to try this new way of getting lights to sync when performing live. we'll see what happens.  

doesn't a Pixcon 16 have a DMX bridge (out) that could be used in a Hybrid LOR<>DMX system?

OT @box on rails Now I see why you have one... Drum Kit

Edited by TheDucks

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

doesn't a Pixcon 16 have a DMX bridge (out) that could be used in a Hybrid LOR<>DMX system?

OT @box on rails Now I see why you have one... Drum Kit

Yes the Pixicon 16 does support DMX too. but I do not use one in my show. all My 16 Port controllers are Pixie 16. I do have 2 Alpha Pixel 16 port  controllers from Holidaycoro that was given to me that has DMX.  I have not used these yet but they are at the ready just in case I need to set up a DMX protocol  for the music side.