Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 4 cord length

bdwillie

How far away /  cord length can you go on 12 volt pixels from a pixie 4?  Have three open ports, some donated square nodes,  Might as well try to use them.  I usually do not dabble with pixels at all so I don't have a clue!

25 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Keep in mind that you can always use null pixels as well.

Not sure what null pixels are are, but according to Don's link I can go 50 foot.  More than enough length!  Thanks!

1 hour ago, bdwillie said:

Not sure what null pixels are are, but according to Don's link I can go 50 foot.  More than enough length!  Thanks!

That length is a theory if everything is perfect.

A Null Pixel is placed midway on the run and acts much like a repeater (but it counts as a node on some controllers).

16 hours ago, TheDucks said:

A Null Pixel is placed midway on the run and acts much like a repeater (but it counts as a node on some controllers).

So lets say a 20 foot run, just splice a pixel in at 10 feet, but then have the first pixel at the prop start with 2 instead of 1?  Totally ignorant on most things pixel......

5 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

So lets say a 20 foot run, just splice a pixel in at 10 feet, but then have the first pixel at the prop start with 2 instead of 1?  Totally ignorant on most things pixel......

Essentially yes.  As a general rule of thumb, pixel controller can send data farther than a pixel, so you may want to make it more like putting the null pixel at the 2/3 point (not overly critical).  Some pixel controllers can set up a null pixel so that it does not eat a pixel number.  If your controller can't do that, then yes, start your prop at pixel 2.  Also, there is a hardware product called an F-Amp which will amplify the signal, but does not use a pixel number.

if 50 is more then enough in either direction -You will not need a Null pixel or F-Amp (so don't let that scare you)

Just for the record, can't say about a Pixie4, but I have run up to 150 to 200+ foot extensions from my Pixie2D and Pixie16D controllers without any problems.  Had those kinds of lengths this past Christmas, in 2022 for my shows, didn't give me one issue all season long.