Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility will not locate controller number 7

LexLittle

Hello,

I started with 32 channels last year and have expanded to 112 total channels this year. I have seven Showtime LOR1602W controllers and a pair of ELLs that connect my indoor PC to my outdoor controller # 1. When I open the Hardware Utility and click refresh, it will only detect 6 units. I quadruple checked the controller # assignments and all are correctly set from 1 - 7 (on the white dials inside the units). I also reset all seven controllers according to the directions that I found in a previous post (assuming that procedure was correct). The procedure that I followed was to power down each controller and reset the controller ID to 0 and then power up for ten seconds, then power down (turn off switch and unplug unit) and reset ID to correct ID (from 1 - 7) and then power up. The hardware utility still only detects 6 units.

Although only six units are detected, if you use the Hardware Utility to turn on lights on unit 3, all lights on controller 3 and controller 7 turn on. All other detected units operate properly.

The next step I took was to unplug the cat5 communication cable from unit 3 to disable unit 4 - 7 and retested in the Hardware Utility. Units 1- 3 detected and operating correctly. I then reconnected unit 4 and disconnected 5 - 7. Units 1 - 4 detected and operating properly. I then reconnected unit 5 and disconnected 6 - 7. Units 1 - 5 detected and operating properly. I then reconnected unit 6 and disconnected unit 7. Units 1 - 6 connected and operating properly. I then reconnected unit 7 and only 6 units are detected and unit 7 still turns on when activating unit three (both 3 and 7 turn on) in the Hardware Utility. I tested the cat5 cable between unit 6 - 7 and had no crossed pairs and proper continuity. I tried a brand new cat5 cable and still only detected 6 units. I checked the unit ID for the sixth time and it is set properly to unit 7.

I purchased a spare unit to have just in case. I set the spare controller up as unit 7 and tested. The Hardware Utility detected 7 units and all work properly.

Am i incorrect in saying that my new controller is bad?

Thanks for reading the long post,

Lex

It looks like the right unit id switch is reading wrong, spin it a couple times in each direction and the back to 07. If it is still recognized as three it's broken and we will replace it.

Try setting unit 7 to something like 8 or 9 and connect it by itself to your PC. Can you see it in the hardware utility?

Mark

• 1 month later...

LightORamaJohn wrote:

It looks like the right unit id switch is reading wrong, spin it a couple times in each direction and the back to 07. If it is still recognized as three it's broken and we will replace it.

Hello,

I did try these suggestions and controller 7 no longer turns on with controller 3. Now controller 7 will not turn on at all. I installed my spare for the season and everything ran flawlessly. I sent an email to support@lightorama.com on 1/4/09 @ 6:00PM EST about replacing the unit. As of now, I have not received a reply. How long does it normally take to get a reply? Maybe I got stuck in the spam filters.

Thanks,
Lex