Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble Connecting Multiple Units

Specter

Hey guys-
I have 3 16dPC units (I forget what the main unit is called- but it's the 'heavy hitter' of them all). The main unit is running to the computer by Cat5e jumper. The hardware utility finds it, lights work, flicker, etc etc.

I then have 2 16dPC units daisy chained off that main one. I'm using Phone Line to jumper from the main one, to the next one, and then to the 3rd. I have the phone line coming in to unit #2 on the left port, then another phone line on the right port of that one out to the left port of unit #3. Is this right?

The red lights are blinking 2x per second or so- but it's only finding the main unit. The hardware utility is not finding units #2 and #3. What am I missing?
Thanks!

ok- update. The phone cord I was using only had 2 wires in it. I replaced it with a 4-wire cord. The PC unit #2 goes from blinking to solid on as soon as I connect the phone cord. So I'm pretty sure that's right. However, the hardware utlity still doesn't find #2.

I have the Cat5e cable coming INTO the middle port from the computer on Unit #1 (16D). Then I have the phone cord on the RIGHT port of Unit 1 out to the LEFT port on Unit 2. Both units' lights are solid. Hardware utility only finds unit 1. Ideas?

Just so I am clear, you have 1 D unit and 2 PC units (you said 3dPC units).

Did you configure and assign each PC unit? You have to do this individually via the hardware utility. Were you able to control each in hardware utility?

If memory serves, you should only be using the left port for phone cable. The middle and right are for cat5 and it matters not which one you use.

It may be that you never changed the Unit Ids on the two PC units, so all your units are 01. If this is the case, cable the PC units individually to the Hardware Utility and use the Change Exisiting Id change on the lower left. Select Any Unit and then Unit 02/03

OK- to clarify-
Unit 1 = CTB16D
Unit 2 = CTB16PC
Unit 3 = CTB16PC

It finds unit 1 perfectly. I disconnected all of them- hooked up just Unit 2 via Cat5e to the computer. Hardware utility Finds 0 units. I power it down, try the other port, power it back up- still can't find it. I tried the same on Unit 3- same results. I'm missing something- these all worked fine last year. Ideas?

I was having so many problem using telco cords, that I switched to the RJ45 cords instead ... and they have been more reliable. I found some nice 75' ones at newegg (Rosewill Cat6) and bright yellow so easy to find ... and even cheaper than LOR cords.