Light-O-Rama Forums

New Pixie2 (firmware 1.08) - Single Red Pixel remains on

jrcarlton

I have a new Pixie2 with firmware 1.08. The first pixel in the strand is constantly on a steady Red.  The pixel does follows the sequence as programmed, but still remains on when the sequence ends. I have tried other strands and have the same results.

The pixel type: WS2811 (800 Khz), 100 Pixels per port, 50 Pixel Logical Resolution

In Misc Options the First Pixel Status Indicator is Unchecked

Stand Alone Speed is 8

Triplet Order is Triples.

Any ideas on how to turn this light off?

Thanks in advance

20221217_161024.jpg

Hopefully you checked the first and last channel number assignments to be sure. Sorry, I've never used a Pixie so far/yet so I'm not much help to you. Now a standard WS2811 string/strip/nodes are "x" number of pixels per meter. For example, I use 30/LEDs per meter for a total of 150 on a 5M strip. Because of the way the WS2811 works, that's exactly 150 channels or 3-channels per LED. WS2811 uses 3 channels/LEDs for one pixel. 3 LEDs run together making 1 pixel. Without knowing how the setup looks for a Pixie, sorry, if you are showing 100 pixels, then I'm guessing that would be 300 channels. But the resolution you state says 50. Hopefully someone in here will be able to assist you better.

Edit: I just read the manual on the Pixies. What a total nightmare. I'd much rather use a Pixcon16 or whatever to control pixels. Much easier in my opinion.

Edited by dgrant

The first Node CAN BE a status (reflects the LED on the controller) for Pixies. HU can set how this behaves.

BUT it stops, once a sequence has been received.

You might want to check the switches and jumpers. It seems some escaped with JP5 in place (park it on 1 pin)

On 12/17/2022 at 4:25 PM, jrcarlton said:

I have a new Pixie2 with firmware 1.08. The first pixel in the strand is constantly on a steady Red.  The pixel does follows the sequence as programmed, but still remains on when the sequence ends. I have tried other strands and have the same results.

The pixel type: WS2811 (800 Khz), 100 Pixels per port, 50 Pixel Logical Resolution

In Misc Options the First Pixel Status Indicator is Unchecked

Stand Alone Speed is 8

Triplet Order is Triples.

Any ideas on how to turn this light off?

Thanks in advance

The Pixie2 status indicator, if selected, should only turn on when the controller is plugged in, it will blink a few times, then turn off, until the unit is unplugged, and plugged back in again, the status indicator should not turn back on, until power is given to the controller.  This is how mine works.

Now about it staying on and not turning off, when I upgraded my Pixies (2D and 16D}, I got some weird effects like you describe.  No one has mentioned this, but FW 1.08 also requires a NEW DeviceFile.txt file to be installed.   If your version of the software did not update this automatically {I know my version won't - 4.4.16 PRO}, but not sure about version 5, you may need to go to the Firmware page and download the newest DeviceFile.txt, as some of the newer FW requires some additional info that is in the latest DevicelFile, if you're using an earlier version of this file, it may not know how to handle some aspects of the new features available through the 1.08 version of the firmware.

So you may want to try doing that.  Once I installed the newest DeviceFile and the latest FW for all my Pixie controllers, all my issues I was having went away.

I can't say this is your issue, but its one you may want to try and see if it gets rid of the problem.   If this solves the issue, let us know.